Thread: Prague tips
View Single Post
Old 16th February 2017, 06:19 AM
Friend

Hi, most of your questions were already answered (and it would almost seem that people abroad keep a better eye on what's happening than I do right here.. ) But I'll try to drop in with a little local knowledge...

For photography books definitely do go to the Leica Gallery, it is a great place, been there just yesterday.. There is always some exhibition going on, the coffee is good and it is accidentaly one of the few cafés in town where you can actually talk with people and hear what you are saying.. (And it is usually quite empty - I think people are afraid of the "red dot".) (There is also a reasonable selection of books at NeoLuxor and "academia" on the wenceslas square).
As for film, there is the obvious "Fotoškoda" in Vodičkova street but they are VERY expensive, if you are in need of film you'd better go to BeFoto (www.befoto.cz) - a little out of the city centre but in a quite interesting area, they have good stock of film and much more reasonable prices.

As for eating, well... there are many tourist traps, one of the reasonable option quality- and price-wise is to stick with the brewery chain restaurants - "Potrefena Husa" (e.g. Shot Duck) by Staropramen or "Kozlovna" by Kozel.. there are many of these in the city and I'd call them a safe bet.. Food is excellent and prices reasonable. There is also a growing number of small breweries/restarurants - my most favourite is "Nota Bene" in Mikovcova Street, only a few blocks away from the Wenceslas Square - excellent food and delicious home-brewed beers.
For a more "local/rustic" experience you may try "Kulovy Blesk" in Sokolska street - it's all in the cellars, reasonable food but a vast choice of beers of any kind from lesser known breweries... (Yes, a lot of people nowadays avoids the big brands, calling them "Euro-water" and therefore places like this are much sought after...)

Anyway, drop me a line if you need any more information...