View Single Post
Old 29th August 2014, 04:22 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
I'm a relative newcomer to darkroom work Michael and use MGRC with a Nova slot processor same as you. You didn't mention what developer and development time you use. I just want to pass on probably the single best advice I've received in darkroom work to you, because I wish someone had with me earlier.

I once had the fortune to meet with an ex picture editor of the Guardian newspaper (he was judging at a competition) who'd shot and printed film for decades. I showed him one of my prints and said I wasn't happy the blacks were strong enough. He agreed they werem't. I had developed the print in Ilford MG for 1 minute at 20C as per manufacturer's recommendation. He suggested 2 minutes - and cut back on exposure and/or contrast if you start to loose the shadow detail, but always at least 2 mins in the developer. Well I did some tests - it transformed my prints! I now develop for 2 minutes in IMG. What is more, it made the prints far less susceptible to developer exhaustion - always a potential problem with Nova processors - even if you religiously replenish.

There will no doubt be those that have a different opinion but it works for me. Try it and see.
That is the best advice for any newcomer to printing, I always in developing to completation, and tend to develop my prints for 4 minutes, RC paper in developer diluted 1/14, and the results speak for themselves, the old saying of more haste less speed applies very much in this case, as far as the rest of the OP method goes I see nothing wrong, certainly on the right path and, as with everything, Practice makes perfect,
Richard