View Single Post
Old 4th December 2018, 02:11 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
I used Agfa C41 for colour, yes I had problems with this too. I know this for definite, because that was all I used for C41. As for B&W, if I remember correctly it would probably have been either Rodinal (The original Agfa) diluted 1 to 25 or Ilford ID11 diluted 1 to 1. I cannot be more exact. The film I cannot be certain either, but probably FP4. I have no idea about the colour stock.
Thanks John. Good to know. I'm not surprised that FP4 would give you problems, esp. with Rodinal at 1:25. I've struggled with contrast in FP4 as well, no matter what the lens. Once I switched to Perceptol as a developer things got a lot better. I'm inclined to think it was your film-dev combo rather than the Xenotar lens, although I could be wrong as yours was a later lens than mine and Schneider might have changed something.

Paul - apologies for the thread drift. Back to favourite lenses....

I would add the Agfa Apotar on another Isolette (now sold) as an honourable mention. This is another lens that renders smooth creamy tones. Wonderful! There's something magical in that old Agfa glass.

I'm starting to use a Minolta Autocord TLR now, recently acquired, and have been impressed with the results. Too early to pass a verdict, but so far I like it very much.

Am I the only one talking about lens tonality rather than just sharpness? In my mind, it is actually more important than resolution, aesthetically speaking.

Best,
Svend