View Single Post
Old 9th August 2020, 01:51 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesires View Post
Hi guys, as my old simple analog darkroom timer malfuctioned I received a recommendation to check and test the FADU f-stop enlarger timer app with Sonoff Basic. I did and find it extremely useful and just perfect fit to my darkroom. I have 3 questions:
1) Did you consider to couple the app with some (bluetooth???) wireless switch to allow foot switch operation?
2) Did you consider to implement a complex development instructions (i.e. base time and several f-stop metered additional times for dodging and burning)?
3) Do you have any recommendations on the mobile phone screen type? I heard that the OLED screens may be substantially better then LCD / LED screens. I made a long safe test in my darkroom and have no problem with my cheap Honor 10 phone.

Thanks for any feedback.

Daniel
Hi Daniel.

1) I considered it - also thought about using the web server contained in the re-flashed switch firmware for the same purpose but decided it was too much hassle for a small advantage. The start-delay with count-in ticks can help if you need time to get ready before it starts counting.

2) Sorry, too much hassle again. The blocks-style coding used by App Inventor makes even moderately complex programming logic very difficult. It's fine for simple stuff, but as soon as you need to add control logic beyond a few lines, it becomes unwieldy. If I ever get around to learning to code Android in native code then I will revisit it.

3) An OLED screen uses active LEDs in the display which physically light up whereas LCD displays use a backlight shining through coloured LCD pixels that are switched from opaque (almost no back-light gets through) to clear. The "almost" bit is why you can get fogging with an LCD screen as some green and blue light gets through an OFF pixel). This results in much purer colours in an OLED display, reducing the chances of fogging as the App only uses different intensities of red.

But, if your LCD phone is not causing issues then I would just stick with that - I don't have any OLED devices myself.