View Single Post
Old 24th February 2011, 09:35 AM
Friend

I think the question of what you do to the base of the processor is quite a complex one. I glued cocktail sticks to the base of mine (flat, not sticking up!) and this worked very well with 5 x 4 and 10 x 8 film. But when I started developing 5 x 7 film I was getting lines of overdevelopment across the negative. At first I thought these were caused by the fins then I realised they lined up with the cocktail sticks. Removing the cocktail sticks and scoring the base with a knife has cured the problem. I have no idea why these lines of overdevelopment occured, as the film had its emulsion side up.

Why should different film sizes make a difference? all I can think is that because of the curved base of the processor each size sits in a different relation to the curve of the base. 5 x 7 film sheets also have more room for side-to -side movement than the other sizes.
The main thing is that scored lines in the base, about 5mm apart, in two directions, making a diamond parrern, seems to have done the trick.

Alan