View Single Post
Old 18th June 2022, 01:10 PM
Friend

Default Beer Barrels

Terry, no they are only props on the station platform. Rowley station was originally located about 15 miles away and closed about 60+ years ago and lay derelict for a long while. It was dismantled brick by brick and block by block and rebuilt on site here at Beamish. This is like most of the exhibits here although there are some 'new builds'.
The latest enterprise is dismantling and rebuilding part of an old council estate from somewhere in south Durham, but that will be several years before it is finished.
There are touches closer to home such as the village school where my partner's, father attended. He died a while back but I don't know what he would have made of it probably not a lot! Then there is what is now a large tea room which serves really nice food. This used to be the Co-op shop in Annfield Plain where I live. (Replaced by a Tesco's!)
That was demolished and rebuilt long before I came to live here.

All of Beamish is original, but not where it was originally. Tanfield Railway where I volunteer is 100% original apart from the two new build stations. It never had any before because it was for coal transport only and never carried passengers.

Last edited by John King; 18th June 2022 at 01:14 PM.