View Single Post
Old 21st June 2010, 11:32 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulc View Post
Looking around the immediate area, I could identify a number of areas that posed a greater risk - Low edging strips, unattended bags, bill boards, small children/dogs on leashes, etc... Got me thinking though.

Has anyone (with suitable HSE experience) drawn up a risk assessment of photography in public areas that I could print out and use in similar situations ?
You have done it already. i.e. noticed many areas which are a much greater risk than your tripod.

A few years ago at work someone wanted to go to another company to have some laser cutting done. Our H&S person said he had to do a risk assessment on the company. The person involved stated that this was nonesense and produced some figures for the likelyhood of being involved in an accident on the way to the company and stated that this was a much greater risk than being in the company's premises. The H&S person accepted that as his risk assessment!

You can't really use an existing assessment as it will be different for each location. In reality the assessment has nothing to do with photography but more to do with you being there with something that someone could trip over. No different to someone being there with a large bag which they have left on the ground. The owners of the house should have done their own assessment for this type of thing as they have a duty of care to their visitors.

Steve.

Last edited by Steve Smith; 21st June 2010 at 11:35 AM.