View Single Post
Old 9th December 2012, 04:07 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevsNorthants View Post
Just to drag this thread OT for a mo, I've never noticed any speed drop in ID-11. I develop my FP4+ (exposed at 125 ASA) at 1:3 at 20 c. for 20 mins and my negs appear properly exposed and developed with a full range of tones. I've never noticed a problem with grain in ID-11 either, having printed 14" from 6x6cm with minimal grain. So I think the idea of 'speed loss' in certain devs is a misunderstanding.

You don't have to reply and I don't wish to start an argument - this is just an observation and your mileage may vary.

Cheers,
kevs
Speed loss is more about the EI you need to shoot at to achieve a good long tnal range and retain good shadow detail.

Good examples are Tmax 100 and APX100 both of which I did Zone system tests with, to get similar results I shot the Tmax at 50EI and the APX100 at 100EI in 35mm, 120 & 5x4.

It's some years since I used FP4 regularly but it was once my main B&W film and I always shot if at 80EI in replenished ID-11.

However you're using ID-11 at 1+3 shich has some compensating affects this also helps slightly with the effective EI.

The differences between full strenght ID-11 and 1+3 in terms of sharpness and grain are more noticable with 35mm than 120 (6x6) particularly with enlargements of 14" wide, I'm enlarging 6x6 negatives a bit more than that at times and I want the best possible results.

Ian