Thread: Two Questions
View Single Post
Old 4th April 2021, 12:14 PM
Friend

I have read a lot recently about accidents caused by random mixtures of two or more acids in the darkroom, so it's always worth checking.

A quick search on DuckDuckGo came up with some good answers though, and it seems you need not worry about the mixing of these two acids.

Answers found include:

Eric Griffin, former Avionics Technician at United States Navy (1985-1988)
Answered 2 years ago·

I have actually done this experiment as part of my commercial research. Acetic acid being the weaker acid will tend to revert to the acid form and the concentration of acetate ions decreases at the citric acid dumps hydrogen ions into the solution. coincidentally this increases the vinegar like odor of the solution because it increases the concentration of the acid form of the acetic acid.

Ray Menon, studied at Rutgers University
Updated January 29, 2021·

If you mix citric acid with acetic acid, you will have a mixture of two acids. Essentially you will have lemon-flavored vinegar.

Acetic acid is monobasic, meaning it has only one carboxylic acid group that can give up a proton. Citric acid is tribasic, meaning it has three carboxylic acid groups that can give up protons. This means that it has three pKa values, for successive loss of each of the three protons that are lost from the neutral citric acid molecule. The two acids will essentially act independently.

Terry S