View Single Post
Old 5th April 2021, 01:11 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
You don't need a 4 bath to do colour. A Trimate 3 bath is all you want. slots for RA4 dev, stop and blix. then take the print elsewhere to be washed. Be aware if you use the same processor for B&W as RA4 it will become a real pain to have to keep draining the whole processor when you want to change over. The Stop and blix are pretty stable and will accept a little contamination but the RA4 developer certainly isn't and will have to be properly rinsed out when you need to swap over.
Then there is the weight. The three chemical baths can be drained in-situ, but the water jackets of a 12x16 which is what you will need for A4 prints contain approx 4 litres of water each. They are heavy to lift about (approx 16 pounds) and a regular movement can cause leaks to form internally - I know! It's happened to me. Internal leaks cannot be repaired easily and certainly not by the user
Hi John,

Thanks for all the useful information in advance.

One thing I'm wondering as I've been trawling through threads about the nova processor is if you are doing your washing in a separate tank or tray, then does the nova processor with dev, stop, rinse (optional as I have a 4 tray on the way), and blix taking up the four slots require a flow of water or can it be stagnant and topped up accordingly after each print session?

The reason I ask is that I saw in the nova manual that you can attach a tap, and I assumed that this would mean some people are doing the washing stage within the processor, maybe with black and white for example where temperature isn't so precise. Not needing a running water supply will remove limitations of where I can set up to print, as once the paper is no longer light sensitive I can just take the print to a separate room with a water supply to rinse / dry and this would be a lot more convenient in my case.

Prior to this I've always printed in labs with large processing machines, however I look forward to a more personal set up at home Any info will be hugely appreciated.

All the best,
Joe