View Single Post
Old 27th April 2013, 10:30 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
I would never have thought of using them or even known of their existence to be honest!

Here follows a link on ebay for them, which at this price I might get one to see how they go = a lot cheaper than 'official' Nova clips for sure.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-DENTAL...item257650f184

Do they have small spikes in them like the Nova ones do?

If so, I feel a Delia / Cranberry rush coming on and the sellers will wonder why!

Terry S
Hi Terry, yes, very similar to mine. I don't use them in the Nova, because although they don't have sharp or rough edges they just might eventually roughen the plastic slots (but maybe not). They have a single point of contact with the film/paper on one side, facing a "pimple" on the other side, so that the contact point is minimal, but they would still puncture the paper more than a Nova clip. (I trim my prints so it doesn't matter)

Having only a single point of contact you need two for safe handling, compared to the Nova clip whose two points and ridge to limit the edge of the paper make them far more secure for one hand use.

For the vertical slot washer, when I have lowered the print into the washer, I hold the print with one hand and remove the Nova clip (or clips, depending on the paper size) and replace it with one or two dental clips with the other. This entails getting your hands wet which I prefer to not do in the darkroom. The beauty of the Nova clip is in keeping your hands dry.

When closed my dental clips are 12.2mm thick, a bit more than a Nova clip. If thickness were an issue, they could be bent to be a bit thinner.

Worth a try!