View Single Post
Old 12th January 2012, 07:06 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
A grain focuser such as the Paterson will focus the grain irrespective of whether you use glasses or not. Simply get the hairline sharp with or without glasses and then use with or without glasses depending on glasses/no glasses when setting up the grain focuser.

Once the grain is sharp then unless there is very rapid bellows creep a print exposure immediately will have sharp grain.

If there is any fuzziness then it is almost certain that the neg was out of focus.

I had this happen to me with a neg from an Isolette which had no rangefinder so I relied on setting the correct distance but got it wrong

It took close examination under a loupe to establish that it was the neg that was out of focus.

So in short and based on my experience a grain focuser will get the grain sharp and if the print is fuzzy it is likely to be the neg.

Mike
That's interesting Mike, I have a grain focuser and cannot use it without the aid of glasses.
If the image you see through the eyepiece is blurred due to eyesight problems, how does one focus on the grain that you cannot see whether the negative is in focus or not?

No one has yet addressed the problem of a grain focus being incorrectly set-up, could that be the problem?