View Single Post
Old 26th May 2009, 08:16 PM
Friend

Isn't this what Ilford was in talks to do but decided eventually to abandon the idea? Presumably the difference is that Ilford needed to transport the equipment to Mobberley. It might be easier if the whole process can be kept on the original site. Maybe Ilford couldn't persuade those with the expertise to move to Mobberley - even if it was only for a temporary period while that expertise was taught to new staff. On the other hand maybe it couldn't be handed over in less than several years or tens of years. Allegedly film making has an element of almost alchemy in it which prevents mastering of the secrets by any normal instructional process. I now this sounds as if I am being disparaging and alluding to a kind of "voodoo" system and I am not. It's just that I have never quite got my head round what is different in film making compared to other processes which are capable of transfer such as Ford in Liverpool turning into a Jaguar factory turning out models that are indistinguishable from those made at the home of Jaguar, namely Coventry.

It begs the question: If Ilford with its expertise, resources and revenue couldn't or wouldn't take the chance to invest, I wonder what the current owners think they have by way of a product that will repay the investment?

The very least you can say is that it is a brave initiative

Mike

Mike