View Single Post
Old 20th November 2020, 02:14 PM
Friend

Default Enlarger on the wall

I have made a mount in the past so I could elevate an enlarger with a short column to get a greater enlargement and it worked, but it does need care to get it absolute perpendicular in all planes.

I made a platform out of contiboard and supported this on two angled wall brackets which have to be checked to ensure the top supporting sections are 100% level between the two brackets.

The column (less the enlarger head) is then bolted to the supporting platform and mounted onto the the base. This is to make it easier to manage. A 3rd Bracket is fixed to the wall at the back at the same height as the top of the column and exactly central to where the bracket will touch the top of the column.. Some enlargers are already equipped for wall mounting with a flat plate at the top that is already drilled to take a 6mm bolt. My enlarger was one of those, so all I had to do was screw the upper support into the top of the column

The column is then removed and the enlarger head is refitted and the whole assembly remounted onto the base support. The fixings at the base are then fully tightened. The one at the top is left slightly loose so that the column can be adjusted in both the side and front so that it is truly vertical. Use a spirit level. If any adjustment is needed to get this, it can be done by using thin shims made from virtually anything. I have used single washers to even folded card placed between the wall and the bracket.. You have got to be aware that the wall itself may be not 'quite' vertical so some adjustment will almost certainly be needed.