View Single Post
Old 1st September 2014, 07:53 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
I hope this gets solved with Mitch's suggestion but it might help, John, if you were to scan a "too grey" print into the technical discussion gallery if that's what it is called

If we all can see what your unsatisfactory split grade print looks like then this will surely or at least should help us help you.

I take it that when you attempt to make a print at say grade 3-4 instead of split-grade it looks OK or at least better than the split-grade?

I mention this as a means of eliminating any issue with paper or developer, unlikely as this may be

Mike
I'm pretty sure the source of the problem is the filtration value cock-up.
Paper and developer are fresh and I'd already made a couple of prints before I decided to have a go split grade printing.
But just for information, I'll post a postable pic and a link to a full res pic.
Left is a straight M-170 @ 18 sec, which is as close to G5 this enlarger can get.
Right is Y-90 @ 4 sec, followed by M-170 @ 18 sec.
These values where chosen by me after test strips when I was under the assumption Y-90 was grade 0.
The prints are not identical, different crops taken from the same neg, the right hand print is significantly muddier, the clouds are pulled down and the beach looks like it was shot in shade when in fact it was full midday sun.

http://tinypic.com/r/9uchfr/8