View Single Post
Old 17th May 2020, 12:38 PM
Friend

Default Blurry images after C-41 process

Hello all. I have finished my first two C-41 processed films. Both done on the same camera (Canon AE-1 with automatic switched on) and the first roll on mediocre weather was satisfactory, whereas the second roll, some were ok, yet on a sunny day the results very over-exposed and details were exceptionally blurred and washed out. One was correct exposure and lovely but still had the odd blurry effect. I have also noticed that infinity doesn't seem 100% sharp too. So my question is this: is it the Canon or the process?

Regarding the Canon, I have shot with black and white film and have had mixed results, nothing that I recognise as being so bad. I have noticed the camera does have a light leak.

All C-41 used distilled water. I preheated the chemicals in my bathtub to 39-41 degrees, used developer for 3 mins and 15 seconds and I made sure the tank was in the bath to keep temperature. Agitation was with the stick rather than inversions for first minute, then 10 seconds on the minutes after. I then made sure to pour back into the bottle 10 seconds prior to my timer going off and rinsed in warm water twice (maybe I went wrong here? I saw purple fluid coming out). Following this, the blix for 4 mins, same agitation method, and of course a 3 min rinse followed by 1 min in stabaliser which was at room temperature. Photos attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Peak District031.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	3782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Peak District034.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	3783   Click image for larger version

Name:	Peak District045.jpg
Views:	438