View Single Post
Old 10th August 2020, 12:14 PM
Friend

I have never read Elements, but in several books on printing that I have read, including Eddie Ephraums Creative Elements, and Roger and Francis Hicks the black and white handbook all suggest developing to completion, with todays materials and developers, in the fifties we would adjust contrast with both exposure times and with adjusting development, simply by increasing development times until the print looked right, but this was very much with fixed grade papers, no RC and no MG paper's, in often with papers formulated 20,30, 0r even 40 years before, but papers have changed, and most printers, today, will develop to completion, I use my developer at 1/12, and develop RC paper for 2 minutes, after 2 minutes I have not seen any change in the image, for FB papers at the same dilution but develop for 3 minutes, and no more changes, in fact with a RC print, just to see what, if any difference would be seen I left a sheet/ of Kentmere vc select, in the developer for ten minutes, them same negative,exposure, Etc and developed as normal, and when dry I could not see any discernible difference between the 2 prints, and nor could any other people who I showed the 2 prints to, including some experiansed printers and photographed, what I did was show the prints and ask them to pick the print developed normally and the one for 10 minutes, and none could do so,
Richard