View Single Post
Old 27th August 2010, 01:09 PM
Friend

DDX is still my regular dev but I do use Perceptol as well( mainly for the finer grain it gets me with HP5+ at a slight loss of speed).

I started with ID11 on a nightschool course then contined to use it when I built my one darkroom. I started to look round for another dev when I developed both P3200 and D3200 and found that the grain was intrusive even on 5x7 prints with ID11. Eventually I settled on DDX after trying Ilfosol.

By and large DDX solved all my previous problems with ID11. In fact up to 10x8 which is the biggest I do DDX gives me as good a print as a Perceptol neg except when I crop greatly so in effect the projection is much bigger than 10x8. Having said that I still find that HP5+ even at 10x8 is marginally grainier in DDX than in Perceptol and this becomes worse if its a crop.

I use Fuji Neopan 400 mostly now and find that even with a bit of cropping on a DDX neg but still doing a 10x8 print, Neopan 400 is still acceptably grainless.

I am not sure that I'd recognise accutance if it crossed the road and punched me : but if Rodinal is the epitomy of accutance then I can say that my romance with it was short lived. The accutance may have been great but maybe I couldn't see if for the grain!

Mike