View Single Post
Old 4th June 2021, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Hi Christoph.

I did not see any way to use the Sonoff in its standard configuration/firmware without connecting it to a local WiFi router so I think that you would have to use a spare router. If you find a different way, do let me know - that would be very useful.

If you have a spare router you can dedicate to this, it should work well using the "Basic R3" controller mode as delays though the router will be minimal with no other traffic on that network.

As an alternative to using a separate router, you could reprogram the R3 with the new firmware which allows your Android device to talk directly with the R3 without any other WiFi hardware. This is a bit awkward to do but provides the best accuracy by eliminating the delays caused by the router relaying signals.

I can make things a little easier by supplying a previously compiled version of the firmware file so you do not have to go through the whole Arduino process to create a new one. I only realised that supplying the firmware file would makes things quite a bit easier for most people a few weeks ago - I have been messing about with embedded software for a long time and forgot that not everyone has!

Let me know how you get on and if you have any more queries.

Incidentally, it may be worth ordering a spare Sonoff - especially if you want to try reprogramming one - it is possible to kill it if the programming goes wrong...

Cheers.