View Single Post
Old 22nd April 2019, 06:53 AM
Friend

Thanks very much for all the suggestions, I really appreciate people taking the time.

Mike and MartyNL - it's a bit of both. I have some negs that are not terribly well exposed but I like the composition and want to salvage them, and some prints I really want to get very high contrast on because it suits the composition. I don't have a scanner of my own so the only prints I can share are ones on my Flickr, and they're ones I'm happyish with. This one (shot on SFX200) and this one (shot on FP4+) were printed at 100% magenta although as I'm sure you can see, quite a bit of dodging and burning was used in both so I don't know how useful that will be.

Also my Kaiser setup has no place to mount Ilford multigrade filters, sadly.

Tony - thanks very much for that, I will have a go with selenium toning when I get the chance!

B&W Neil - thanks, as you and others have pointed out I should probably get more discriminating in my film stock choices. I don't develop my own negs, I send off to Ag at the moment, and FP4 and PanF50 come back with lots of midtones. I have made the assumption that if the negs have lots of info on them I can burn and dodge more and still get some good detail, but maybe that's not always the best way.