View Single Post
Old 20th September 2021, 03:16 PM
Administrator

"Fine Art" is one of those terms that people write doctorates on but at its basics just means something that is for non-utilitarian purposes. A photograph that documents viral plaques on a cell culture is not fine art when it appears in print as part of a research project. Using that cell culture to say something about the role of scientific research in modern society is. Even using the image for decorative purposes by (for example) colourising it, turns it into "fine art". Whether it is "good" fine art is another discussion...

When Fay Godwin photographed a security sign warning of guard dog patrols on a fence surrounding Stonehenge (Nightguard), she was not documenting the fence building skills of English Heritage, she was making a statement about the occupation of public space, history and culture by outside forces (my interpretation, but given what I have read about her, I believe I am close to what she intended). Fine Art makes a statement - whether that is a serious socio-political call to arms or, "look - isn't this pretty?".

Last edited by Bob; 20th September 2021 at 03:25 PM.