View Single Post
Old 19th October 2021, 08:56 PM
Friend

It seems the idea of a negative exchange will not die.
However, we don't ever quite get this off the ground.
If people are really interested (and the mods are happy) then I would suggest the following.

1. Negative exchanges run 6 times per year.
  2. Interested parties post in a thread which announces the next round, and PM the organiser with the following information- Name, postal address and formats they are willing/able to print.
  3. On the closing date the organiser pairs participants.
  4. Participants are notified by PM of who their print partner is, and what formats they can accept.
  5. Each participant has a maximum of ONE MONTH to send a negative to their print partner.
  6. The negative should be sent with an accompanying print of that negative by the author. The print should be contained in a sealed envelope, which the receiving photographer can open after printing their own version. This allows the receiving photographer to compare and contrast with their own version.
  7. Participants have a maximum of ONE MONTH to print from the negative they are sent, and should enclose a copy when returning the negative.
    8. There were questions asked about 'cropping' images. The printer will have complete autonomy to print any way they see fit, but should not intentionally cause any physical damage to the negative entrusted to them.
    9. A gallery will be created for each Round of the exchange, and posting the images produced will be expected as a natural conclusion to the process.
Points to consider:
Things go wrong sometimes: Post goes astray, negatives get scratched, other mishaps befall us. We can reasonable assume no photographer would be careless with someone else's negative but no blame will attach to any participant in the event of loss or damage. Don't send a negative you would be upset at losing.
I think 2 months should work, as it gives time to take and print a negative and print the one you receive. However, some members might choose to participate in both Print and Negative exchanges, so perhaps quarterly (4 per year) would be less onerous and encourage participation. In that event I'd suggest a maximum of ONE MONTH to send, not more that TWO MONTHS to print and return.
My retirement hasn't quite worked as planned, but I could certainly make the time to act as organiser/co-ordinator for this.
Mod approval vital as a negative exchange has the potential to cause unhappiness. I have twice sent negatives to individuals who were neither able to reciprocate nor return my negative.
As with the print exchange, should this become established practice the aim would be to mix up participants over different rounds to allow variety.

Several members who posted earlier in this thread are now no longer active. If there are new expressions of interest here I will raise a new thread to clean things up and consult the moderators on their feelings about initiating a new Negative exchange.