View Single Post
Old 26th September 2021, 09:28 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
I too have syphon, but I am pretty well sure that the end to go inside the tank would not fit into the holes at the top. It is a short walk from my darkroom to the bathroom where it can be emptied and also hosed out to clean away any sludge. I have been doing it for years and it hasn't stained the bath one little bit.

The reason for putting Sodium Hypochlorite, AKA, ordinary household bleach is not to stop algae growth or to stop the water from 'going stale', it is to kill any Legionella bacteria that may propagate. The static, warm then cool then warm again water baths are a perfect breeding ground for the spores that can escape and indeed kill if you get infected. It is not pleasant!
The siphon is just a length of plastic tubing that I use as a siphon. My Nova is 12"x16" so a lot heavier than the 8"x10". I handle it very carefully as it has to last me for a long time, so I'd rather not tip it to empty it. Incidentally, it's an obsolete model, called Chrome, a 4 slot model which has running water rinse in slot 2. I don't rely on just water now, I use acid stop because it has prevented some staining.

I wasn't aware of the actual organism for which I was treating the water jacket: I wanted to avoid any bio-growth, such as that which grows in my washer if I don't use it for a while.

The Nova is a wonderful invention for those of us with little space. One just has to master a few foibles.