View Single Post
Old 17th January 2020, 01:45 AM
Friend

Default Hello from Tokyo...

Was fortunate enough to take a photography class in high school (in the 1970s), continued with the college photo club/darkroom, alongside engineering studies. Lost interest with the loss of a darkroom. Two years ago went to the photo show in Yokohama meaning to choose a digital camera, but on the way in, I stopped off at a showing of analog photos from the 40’s and 50’s. What I saw there and how I felt, was completely different from the marketing tornado of digital at the commercial photo equipment show. I’ll use digital to record things, memories, snaps, but I want to make photographs like the vintage ones in the gallery. Two different worlds for me.

I bought a used 6x9 manual rangefinder (Convertible Horseman) but am not warming up to it. Recently I found a Burke & James 5x7 circa 1922 box camera, fixed focus with a 24mm (135 equivalent) lens. Took some paper negative photos, developing them in my bathroom. Next bought some Foma 100 sheet film and developed six negatives in trays. I have yet to make my first contact sheets. Now this is fun.

I need to find better ways to develop sheet film. Tray processing isn’t for me. I’m going to try 20th Century Camera’s 5x7 reel next.

Thanks for having me as a member. Looking forward to the conversations.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk