View Single Post
Old 2nd December 2020, 01:03 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
They say the 28mm F3.5 was to be avoided - well I never has a problem with it.
It's funny, isn't it.

My 28mm f/3.5 was the sharpest OM lens I owned.

In fact, I have two of them.

I mislaid my original for many years (that's what house moves do for you) and so bought a new one to replace it.

Some years later, I opened a box dragged out from under the stairs while I was looking for something else completely and there it was, together with the 85mm that I owned from when I was a student. I guess I had just slipped them in to a random box as we were packing and forgot where I had put them.

In the late 70's/very early 80's, AP or some such published a series of back to back lens tests on various manufacturers lenses at specific (common) focal lengths and the OM 28 f/3.5 came out as the winner by a country mile against the Cannon, Nikon and Pentax offerings.

The OM 28 f/3.5 they tested was reported to resolve about 120 l/mm compared to the others who were in the 70s~80s ball park.

From what I remember, at practically all other focal lengths, it was either a Cannon or Nikon offering that was the winner - but not by a clear margin, with the other makes taking turns for the placings.

Martin