View Single Post
Old 21st March 2009, 07:40 PM
Friend

Default What Is Your Favorite Stage Of Making A Photograph?

This question was asked of William Giles, a former student of Minor White and then retired director at the MIT photography dept, at a lecture about his work and Minor White's at the old Ansel Adam's Gallery on Cannery Row in Monterey 9 years ago. He quickly answered "all of it!" .. Really? I thought.. That was when I was just getting into B&W processing / printing at home and I definitely had a preference for the printing from a neg stage. Then some time later, being out in nature capturing the image was my favorite stage as it was when others were processing my color prints. Then after teaching myself to tone, that final stage of toning was my fav stage.. At one point, even processing film was a fav stage.. now, years later, I'm starting to understand William Giles' answer when he said "all of it!". That early stage; capturing the image and the final stage; toning a print, seem to be tops for me right now, but printing from a neg probably holds the long-term fav for me. What about you guys?

Last edited by Victor Krag; 21st March 2009 at 07:46 PM. Reason: to subscribe to thread