View Single Post
Old 9th August 2021, 10:34 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpirie View Post
One word of caution about buying used studio flash......make sure you see the unit working before you buy. It may sound stupidly obvious, but these units have large capacitors in them and if they are not cycled every now and then, the capacitors will fail.

The cost of repair was nearly as much as a replacement when it happened to my Bowens setup.....and of course, parts are getting harder and harder to find nowadays!

Mike

I just bought a large 7 head Elinchrom kit, so I'm almost sorted 5x Elinchom 500 heads 3 listed as working two only the flash but hey they just needed just needed new bulbs. There's a 1000 head but that has no bulb, I think just a two pin Halogen.

Then there's a 101 pack and A2000 head, the tube definitely needs repacing but rerfubished heasds sell for nearly £300.

My first two Elichrom 11 heads are still going strong after 40 years of use, a tube did go in one around two reas after I bought them but things happen. I've not found Bowens kit as reliable and after 3 reairs on my Monmolite 400 just gave up, but by then with the Internet it was cheapper to just get a Monolite 750 second hand, it's been my work horse for years.

We then have to look at what else came in the kit, two Calumet Wireless Transmitters, and 4 Recievers and new that's way over 3100 to buy today,plus a light box and stand

I have hired or borrow more powerful flash packs and heads for commercial shoots. And I'd still hire if needed.
the
Now I've reached a point where I need to sell off flash kit I never use.

Ian