Thread: Reflex viewer
View Single Post
Old 23rd November 2008, 12:52 PM
Friend

Tricky one to answer. I have a reflex viewer and I really like it as I hate using a dark cloth. You just need to leave your eye in position for a few seconds to allow it to adjust to the light levels. You should really be using it in conjunction with a fresnel screen or the corners will be dark meaning difficult to see if anything off centre is in focus. And when you introduce tilt or swing it can be tricky to see correct focus. But this really depends on your GG and fresnel. Some GGs snap into focus and others dont. An after market fresnel may be good on your GG or it may not.
I use mine in the field and I have quite fast lenses so I haven't bothered with a fresnel.
In the studio, unless you have hot lights, then you are going to struggle to see anything other than the center if you don't have a fresnel, especially if you don't have fast lenses.

Magnification of the eyepiece is also a factor in whether it makes focussing any easier. Mine is 2X I think. Dont expect to get much more than that. That means you are looking at a large part of the image being in focus and not just a small part like with a loupe.

And like a TLR, you have to be able to get your head over it to see, which means putting the camera lower. If it fits in any orientation, then that can be avoided. Tried it once and found that looking at 90 deg to subject direction was a bit odd but its doable.

Basically I find I use the viewer to get get focus and then check/fine adjust with a loupe if I think it necessary. Depends on lighting levels. I can swing the viewer to the side on my camera.

But having said all that, a well shaded GG and pair strong glasses would probably be better in the studio as you can move your head position to see in corners without use of a fresnel. Speak to your optician (watch makers / jewelers flip up magnifying glasses)

In the field the reflex viewer gives 100% shading of the GG. In the studio, depending on lighting, that is less important.