View Single Post
Old 23rd November 2020, 08:38 PM
Friend

[QUOTE=davidgc;136881]I suppose that is the beauty of using the baseboard that comes with an enlarger is that it is already perpendicular to the column, no matter what angle the underlying surface angle.

As the old song says, "It ain't necessarily so."

After watching "The Naked Photographer on Youtube talking about enlarger alignment, I decided to check out my Durst M605.

I always assumed the column, base and head would be square.
I fitted jacking screws to the baseboard in place of the card shims I had been using.
With the base leveled using the jacking screws and a spirit level, the head tilted forward slightly.

I shimmed out the very bottom of the column were it was bolted to the column base bracket. Shims place between the column and bracket. This got the head level front to back. Then I tweaked the lateral level using a flat metal bar and spirit level in place of the negative carrier.

Empty aluminium beer tins cut up with old scissors make excellent packing shims. Bit sharp, so go careful.

Probably the reason I have never notice any un sharpness is I always stop the lens down a good few stops when making exposures.

Cheers.