Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 13th April 2019, 01:21 PM
Friend

As Alex suggests, this topic has already been well aired on FADU. The first thread, started by Dave in 2008, can be found here; and there are at least three further ones that develop the topic. I'd recommend Trevor Crone's contributions as a good start.
Old 13th April 2019, 05:33 PM
Friend

Alan thank you for the detailed and informative answer, do you put the film in emulsion side up or facing down? Also do you think that the motor base would be too vigorous for four 4x5 sheets of film? If I cannot find my Paterson Orbital Processor I am considering the Mod54 Or is it Mod 45 film holder, does anyone have any tips/opinions on using such an expensive piece of plastic?
Old 13th April 2019, 05:38 PM
Friend

Norm,
emulsion side up.
I've not got a motor base, and haven't used one. But Trevor Crone said it forced the developer into the middle and caused uneven development.

Alan
Old 15th April 2019, 08:36 AM
Friend

The Orbital Processor was designed for paper processing but there's no reason it shouldn't work with sheet film. I used to use one to process Cibachrome/Ilfochrome. I got uneven development until I realised that the paper/film should stick to the base, otherwise it floats around and swirling from the baffles on the Orbital's lid causes streaking. The initial pre-soak is intended to result in the paper/film sticking to the base so shouldn't be omitted, nor should you use too much fluid. I forget the recommended amount but it was not much. Obviously it's important that the emulsion side should face upwards so that the fluids work on it unimpeded; there is no need for the chemicals to contact the reverse side. After all, film is only paper with a transparent base. I had the motorised base which is an advantage as it provides consistent agitation.

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Old 15th April 2019, 11:45 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
Alan thank you for the detailed and informative answer, do you put the film in emulsion side up or facing down? Also do you think that the motor base would be too vigorous for four 4x5 sheets of film? If I cannot find my Paterson Orbital Processor I am considering the Mod54 Or is it Mod 45 film holder, does anyone have any tips/opinions on using such an expensive piece of plastic?

The MOD54 works well, in my opinion. It fits in the Paterson tank that holds 3x35mm or 2x120 reels. You can load 1-6 sheets, but it needs approximately 1 litre of developer, so best used with 4-6 sheets. You need a bit of space to load it. It’s best to have the sheets out of their holders, and ready for loading. It can be done in a changing bag, but a darkened room, or cupboard makes things much easier. It’s best to practice before using it for real. The company has a useful video online to show how it’s done. One big advantage is the ability to wash the film in the tank just like roll film.
I can understand the apparently high cost. It’s a well made, lifetime purchase that’s aimed at a relatively small market.
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 15th April 2019, 11:53 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH Designs View Post
The Orbital Processor was designed for paper processing but there's no reason it shouldn't work with sheet film. I used to use one to process Cibachrome/Ilfochrome. I got uneven development until I realised that the paper/film should stick to the base, otherwise it floats around and swirling from the baffles on the Orbital's lid causes streaking. The initial pre-soak is intended to result in the paper/film sticking to the base so shouldn't be omitted, nor should you use too much fluid. Obviously it's important that the emulsion side should face upwards so that the fluids work on it unimpeded; there is no need for the chemicals to contact the reverse side.
Some interesting points there. But it now seems that the Orbital may now not be suitable for processing double sided (emulsion) x-ray film, that I was going to use in a pinhole camera.

Tray development is not really suitable for me, so does anyone have any other suggestions of which system to use instead?

Terry S
Old 15th April 2019, 12:24 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
Some interesting points there. But it now seems that the Orbital may now not be suitable for processing double sided (emulsion) x-ray film, that I was going to use in a pinhole camera.

Tray development is not really suitable for me, so does anyone have any other suggestions of which system to use instead?

Terry S
Consider either hangers in a plain tank or else a Yankee tank such as this. I think that this one might do as a plain tank, as its opposing top edges have recesses for the hanger rods. My first LF tank was a Doran, which was rather like the Yankee (but was easier to load than the Yankee illustrated appears to be). It took a lot of chemistry and emptied with rather a leisurely chug-chug.
Old 15th April 2019, 05:01 PM
Friend

Good to see you again, Richard and read your explanation about how the Paterson works. It seems obvious now I have read it but it wasn't until I did read it

Mike
Old 15th April 2019, 05:10 PM
Friend

Richard - If you don't pre-soak for a moderate time with the film held off the tank base, you do have to wash off the anti-halation layer afterwards.

Last edited by Michael; 15th April 2019 at 05:13 PM.
Old 16th April 2019, 09:01 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Richard - If you don't pre-soak for a moderate time with the film held off the tank base, you do have to wash off the anti-halation layer afterwards.
Would that not get washed off in the final wash anyway? If film is coated on both sides of the base (I wasn't aware of that) then the Orbital is not really suitable. In my experience it was important that the paper stuck to the base of the processor to avoid streaking.

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies