Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th May 2021, 03:44 PM
Friend

Question Amoeba on my negs. Using Bellini C41.

Now developed four films using the Bellini C41 kit. No major disasters, but on the last two films I developed, I seem to be getting "amoeba" appearing on the negatives. I wonder if this is down to the final step, dunking the film in stabiliser. The instructions from Bellini say do this for 3 minutes, with the comment "continuous mix". The guidelines I got from Nik & Trick (NT Photoworks) say to remove remove the film from the spirals and immerse it for 10 to 30 seconds, which is quite a difference. The first film I did, I wasn't ready with a tub, so I just poured the stabiliser into the tank, and it worked OK. The second film, I removed the film from the spiral and immersed it in a tub for 3 minutes. Not so good, and I didn't like the way the film stuck to itself, so on the last two films I left the films on the spirals, and just immersed them in the stabiliser. These came out worst of all, although one of the films may have been in the stabiliser for about 4 minutes. As instructed, I did not wash the film in anything after the stabiliser, and used a squeegee before hanging the films up to dry. See attached for an example of what I mean, particularly at the top right. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo013WithAmoebas.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	4181  
Old 7th May 2021, 10:21 PM
Friend

Have a look at this thread, particularly post no. 4 there. Searching "Bellini" will give you a lot more too (but not too much, I hope).
Old 8th May 2021, 06:03 AM
Friend

Default Amoeba

Thanks Michael. Next time I'll try it in the tank, but agitating continuously for 3 minutes, which seems to be what Bellini are suggesting.
Old 8th May 2021, 07:22 AM
Friend

RicEll, what I ended up doing was (with 35mm in a Jobo small tank) a first 3 minute stabiliser rinse, inverting continuously. I then discarded the resulting froth and gave three water rinses at 38 degrees, ten inversions each, followed by a final 1 minute stabiliser bath with no agitation or inversion. All very speculative but I wasn't bothered by those amoebae after that. No stabiliser was re-used, as the kit has plenty for that procedure with 35mm. I used de-ionised water to make up the stabiliser. Medium or large format film would need a re-think (I did process one roll of 120 in among).

I had compared notes with Alex. We had both agreed that N&T's notes were a bit off. All the best for the rest of your processing with this set of the kit.
Old 2nd June 2021, 09:34 AM
Friend

Default Better, but not perfect

I developed another film. This time I rinsed the film in water three times, inverting the tank 10 times for each rinse. Then I added the stabilizer and let it stand for 3 minutes.
The results were much better, but I still get faint blue rings in places, which are sometimes almost perfectly circular.
Does anyone else get this, or know what is causing it?
See attached for an example (red rectangles were added by me to show problem areas).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo013. example blue rings.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	269.6 KB
ID:	4198  
Old 2nd June 2021, 11:00 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicEll View Post
I developed another film. This time I rinsed the film in water three times, inverting the tank 10 times for each rinse. Then I added the stabilizer and let it stand for 3 minutes.
The results were much better, but I still get faint blue rings in places, which are sometimes almost perfectly circular.
Does anyone else get this, or know what is causing it?
See attached for an example (red rectangles were added by me to show problem areas).
This is a new one on me so a complete puzzle but you are right in that whatever it is that is causing it the rings are as near damn it perfect circles.

Just a very long shot here but given how perfect they are, could these be scanning artefacts? Under a loupe and against a diffused white light are these visible on the negs

Mike
Old 2nd June 2021, 08:35 PM
Friend

Default Cannot see rings on negative

Hmm. Well I don't have a decent loupe handy, but I improvised with my mobile and a white screen, and I can't see the rings on the negative. I'll try scanning again and see if I get similar results.
However, the rings do seem to appear in different places for each exposure, so it might not be repeatable.
Old 3rd June 2021, 07:21 AM
Friend

RicEll, your best option now might be to get a good lab print of that negative, at a decent size. I think that the condition of that print would reassure you.
Old 3rd June 2021, 11:50 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicEll View Post
Hmm. Well I don't have a decent loupe handy, but I improvised with my mobile and a white screen, and I can't see the rings on the negative.
I don't know enough about scanning vagaries to say if the "artefacts" moving is also compatible with a scanning issue but it is certainly worth getting a decent loupe and lightbox for the very purpose of examining negs to ensure that what you see on the scan of the neg is actually on the neg itself

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies