Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Alternative Processes > Contact printing

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd December 2008, 06:59 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
Like the other aspects of LF, I'm just making a start with contact printing. I have a 5x4 enlarger, but for the time being am happy making contact prints. Nothing clever, so far I've used my Durst 35mm enlarger as a light source and 5x7 gloss RC paper to print on.

Hopefully I've attached my first bash at this...
And a very worthy subject.
Old 2nd December 2008, 07:01 PM
Friend

Thanks.

I think my New Year's resolution (if not sooner) should be to stop using it as a prop and get back to taking pictures with it!
Old 2nd December 2008, 07:23 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
Like the other aspects of LF, I'm just making a start with contact printing. I have a 5x4 enlarger, but for the time being am happy making contact prints. Nothing clever, so far I've used my Durst 35mm enlarger as a light source and 5x7 gloss RC paper to print on.

Hopefully I've attached my first bash at this...
Contact prints are very satisfying as you and others have shown here. They are little gems. Edward Weston produced the majority of his work as contact prints.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 2nd December 2008, 08:07 PM
Administrator

I have done some contact printing and also hope to do a lot more in the new year. Pt/Pl test strip below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lecturn.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	47  
Old 2nd December 2008, 08:19 PM
Friend

Aha. Now that, Barry, is one of your long ones. I was wondering how that was coming along.
Old 3rd December 2008, 12:34 AM
Administrator

I put a few bids in for whole-plate cameras that came up on the auction site in the past but they always went for more than I was prepared to pay (like, £100 with holders!). So, I decided I will wait to win the lottery, at which point I will get an 11x14 which seems to me to be the sweet spot between portability and print size...

This however is unlikely to pass as I have never entered a lottery and have no intention of ever doing so. I suspect this means my contact printing days will not occur in the near future. I know some like 5x4 but I find them too small - but subject choice probably pays a large part in that.
Old 3rd December 2008, 08:01 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
I put a few bids in for whole-plate cameras that came up on the auction site in the past but they always went for more than I was prepared to pay (like, £100 with holders!). So, I decided I will wait to win the lottery, at which point I will get an 11x14 which seems to me to be the sweet spot between portability and print size...

This however is unlikely to pass as I have never entered a lottery and have no intention of ever doing so. I suspect this means my contact printing days will not occur in the near future. I know some like 5x4 but I find them too small - but subject choice probably pays a large part in that.
£100 does seem a trifle optimistic for such a venture, however the purchase of a 10 x 8 DDS is feasibly for around £25 which will leave you £75 to hone your Blue Peter skills on a suitable pinhole camera to fit it to.
Old 3rd December 2008, 06:21 PM
Friend

Default 10x8 Pinhole :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
£100 does seem a trifle optimistic for such a venture, however the purchase of a 10 x 8 DDS is feasibly for around £25 which will leave you £75 to hone your Blue Peter skills on a suitable pinhole camera to fit it to.
Nothing wrong with 10x8 pinhole

Old 6th December 2008, 03:28 PM
Friend

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
Anyone here doing any form of contact printing? I know Carl Radford and Ian Leake does, and I am (thanks to Ian) but is there anyone else. Please share your thoughts, loves, hates, anything really.
I have a Sinar Norma with an 8x10 back which I haven`t used yet. The bellows have been replaced by Camera Bellows Ltd and I have a Nikon 240mm f/5.6 Nikkor-W lens and some Ilford FP4 Plus in 8x10. Ideally, I would like to buy some A4 size B&W paper for contact printing and a proper contact printing frame if such a thing exist.
Could you tell me a bit more about the Lodima paper that you mentioned?
Old 6th December 2008, 06:24 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag-Bromide View Post
SNIP; Could you tell me a bit more about the Lodima paper that you mentioned?
It's a replacement for Kodak's Azo paper and is formulated by American photographers Michael A. Smith and his wife Paula Chamlee.

The first batch of grade 2, 8x10" is now sold out. All being well it should go into full production in 2009 when it will be available in other sizes and grades.

See this link; http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/newpaper.html
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies