Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 13th March 2020, 10:25 PM
Friend

I had a couple of goes ,and got really weird result's ,this industrial x-ray film is very very contrasty ,I can see this film is better for things than people so when the weather gets warmer I will try it on trees buildings and the like ..here are two I shot in my messy garden (we are having work done) …..

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0006.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	3672

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	3673
Old 17th March 2020, 11:33 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
I had a couple of goes ,and got really weird result's ,this industrial x-ray film is very very contrasty ,I can see this film is better for things than people so when the weather gets warmer I will try it on trees buildings and the like ..here are two I shot in my messy garden (we are having work done) …..

Attachment 3672

Attachment 3673

Some types of x-ray film are coated on both sides. That can cause extreme contrast. Some people remove the emulsion from one side to sort it out. I doubt it matters when they do it as long as the emulsion facing the subject at exposure is the survivor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17th March 2020, 11:50 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post

Attachment 3672

Attachment 3673

Paul,

Encouraging results - well done.

Shooting on an overcast day or using a less contrasty lens, uncoated or single coated, may help.

Some Bromoilist use a contrast reducing developer to make very flat negs that bromoil well, or highly dilute standard film dev will do much the same thing. Not sure what dev you use for this but if a standard one it may be worth trying something else.

Keep going you are getting there

Neil.

Neil Souch

Last edited by B&W Neil; 17th March 2020 at 11:55 AM.
Old 17th March 2020, 12:49 PM
Friend

Stuck in the house, like a lot of people, at the moment. This has given me extra time on my hands though, so I also hope to be able to try out my x-ray film for the first time, over the coming days. Taking advice that I've read, I think I will try developing mine in very dilute Rodinal, first time around.

I believe that x-ray film can also be viewed under safe-lights, but I will check any info sheet in my packet as soon as I open it first. This could be useful to check the progress of the film's development, but I have never done this before, so I'm not sure what can be seen that is helpful. Are you doing this Paul, or working totally in the dark?

Terry S
Old 18th March 2020, 10:19 PM
Friend

hi Terry I have in my darkroom 2 yellow 1 orange 1 red safelights ,and none of them affect the x-ray film I did some tests first ,I don't know what your x-ray film is mine is industrial and it is very contrasty ,I think medical film is not as contrasty as mine .I have 80 and 100 ,I have been shooting 100 as 50asa and was shooting the 80 as 40asa ,but I have found that they both work great at 50asa ,in rodinal 1+25 =9mins ,it is hard to see the image developing as there is a off white coating on mine that makes it hard to judge ,the coating comes of in the fixer ,I tried different ways to dev the film ,but ended using my jobo.. I would have loved to go to Wat Tyler Park as I have some ideas ,but I have COPD level 3 as well as other problems and I am 63 so I don't want to get that virus ,it would probably kill me ,so I will have to set something up in the garden if I can ….. last week I took some photos on medium format of a friend with her grandkid ,and some of my granddaughter ,and printed them up the other night ,so I think it will be a long time before I do any portraits ,so for the near future its indoors or the garden ..

be safe
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies