Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Alternative Processes > Alternate printing processes

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th May 2017, 05:29 AM
New User

Default Negatives from an imagesetter

Hello to all.

Many, many years ago I played around with a variety of alt processes - now I have more time I would like to get back into such things. In the past I used a local printer, who had an imagesetter, to create negatives generated from my computer (essentially, asking them to print a negative image that I produced on Photoshop).

Most local printers no longer seem to have this equipment (either having gone over to digital, on-demand printing or using direct-to-plate technology for conventional litho printing). I just wondered if anyone knows of a printer that still uses an imagesetter and is happy to output from a file that you provide? At this point I'm not sure that I want to invest in a printer to do it myself because I'm not expecting a high throughput.

UK-based ideally, but I'm happy to work with someone in Europe if they can do what I want.

Many thanks for any suggestions.
Old 15th May 2017, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Can't help with an imagesetter but if all else fails, a google on

digital negative service

throws up a few options.

Good luck, Bob.
Old 15th May 2017, 07:49 PM
Friend

I don't know of a printer who does this, but it is possible to print B&W negatives on overhead projector film using a simple inkjet printer. I'm reluctant to get too deeply into a discussion about this as it may infringe Forum rules, but this is quite a common way of making enlarged negatives for contact printing with alternative processes. I must add that my process started with a good old-fashioned 35mm negative (HP5+), and ended up with a traditional Cyanotype. It isn't difficult if you can scan a negative, and have a standard inkjet printer. I'm sure there is much more information about this technique in other sites, and it may be worth investigating if you don't find a printer who can do this for you.
Alex
Old 15th May 2017, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Yes, it's one of those corner-cases. The darkroom is involved in the final print, but the negative is digital...

Tricky...
Old 15th May 2017, 09:08 PM
Friend

Hi, Bob. Please delete my post if it contravenes Forum rules. I wasn't sure if I was straying into murky waters, or not! I don't think the original post is a problem.
Alex
Old 15th May 2017, 09:54 PM
Friend

Have a look at jupiterassociates.co.uk
Old 21st May 2017, 03:38 PM
New User

Many thanks for the help.

And please accept my apologies for inadvertently tempting anyone to break the rules!
Old 21st May 2017, 05:32 PM
Administrator

It's no problem Gary.

We did discuss including digital negative making originally when the forum was started, but it seemed like too much of a dilution from our traditional/analogue focus even though the intent is to produce a darkroom print. I think the worry was that it would open discussion on digital image making in general even if we restricted things to only the process of making a digital negative for darkroom processes.

Cheers, Bob.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies