Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd January 2021, 10:30 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
One of the things I've failed to do adequately is being scrupulous in note keeping at every stage of the photographic process.
Likewise.

But I have started now but only with colour printing. At the end and sometimes in the middle of a session I keep a very careful check on the area of paper I print because I replenish at the end of a session with the exact quantity of developer/blix to cover the amount of paper used (100cc per 800sq ins) I also note the filtration used at the beginning and end of the session so I know where to start off with the next time round.
Old 23rd January 2021, 10:32 AM
Friend

The idea of using just one camera/film/developer (and keeping meticulous notes) is a worthy one, but not everyone has such an orderly mind. I certainly don't, and I actually enjoy a more random approach. The downside is that it's taken me about 8 years to crystallise (possibly) my thoughts on all these variables. It is probably a good sign that recently I'm looking at my cupboard containing 10 second rate cameras and thinking I should really sell them and get a couple of good ones!

Having reached a degree of competence with film, I am constantly bemused by the discussions on various forums and Facebook groups where people proclaim themselves experts after their first roll of film. I occasionally point out that their negatives are grossly underexposed, whereupon I'm bombarded with replies saying 'what makes you such an expert?' - how many films have you scanned and colour graded? (well none actually). Best leave them to it.
Old 23rd January 2021, 12:15 PM
Friend

Hello EdmundH and keeping notes.
.................................................. ...............................
My first few years printing had no record keeping. Just eager to see the results.
Serious note keeping only commenced when I began doing jobs for other people.
People had a habit of getting in touch months later for repeat prints. So I kept records of enlarger height, aperture, time and paper. Also any filtration or dodging and burning.
This gradually became second nature for all my black and white work, and became essential whilst learning colour printing.
It saved a fortune in paper and time over the years.
From being a chore at first it became second nature.

Cheers.
Old 23rd January 2021, 03:09 PM
Friend

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat Polton View Post
Hello EdmundH and keeping notes.
.................................................. ...............................
My first few years printing had no record keeping. Just eager to see the results.
Serious note keeping only commenced when I began doing jobs for other people.
People had a habit of getting in touch months later for repeat prints. So I kept records of enlarger height, aperture, time and paper. Also any filtration or dodging and burning.
This gradually became second nature for all my black and white work, and became essential whilst learning colour printing.
It saved a fortune in paper and time over the years.
From being a chore at first it became second nature.

Cheers.

New Year resolution for myself; Keep proper notes in the darkroom. - I do have some generalised settings pinned up - such as base filtration for the colour films I most often use, but I know it would make sense!
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies