Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Top Tips

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 12th February 2020, 10:41 PM
New User

Default Where do I start? Dark Room Beginner

Hello!
I have been interested in Dark room photography for a while now and have finally decided to try and give it a go, I am looking for help on where to start with this.
I am looking for advice from whats the best film camera to use and where to purchase everything needed for a beginner with no permeant dark room facility.
Thank you
Old 13th February 2020, 07:45 AM
Friend

As to where to get darkroom equiment then you can look at forum sponsor second hand darkroom suplies,plenty to choose from, and depending on the level you want can be fairly cheap, and remember things such as an enlarger will last a lifetime, for film processing you don't even need a darkroom, just a film changing bag, developing tank, something to mix the chemicals and a thermonter, for printing any space that you can can blackout easily, as for what is the ''best'' film camera then everyone here will give you a different answer, but probably 35mm is the best waty to start, and there are many systems around, slr's are the easiest to use to start with, camera,such as a pentax,canon,nikon, are easy fo get, plus a 28 or 35 to 80 and 80 to 300 zoom should be a good start and cover everything you should need, and welcome to the Forum,
Richard
Old 13th February 2020, 07:48 AM
Friend

Also check out collect only enlarger/darkroom lots on eBay and Facebook marketplace as there can be bargains to have. I got most of my stuff that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13th February 2020, 07:53 AM
Friend

I'd suggest looking online for a darkroom near your location.

Once you're comfortable in the darkroom, you'll know what equipment you need and that'll help you focus on what to buy should you want to create a darkroom at home.

I did the same thing when i started out. I worked at a university and went to college where was able to access the darkrooms.....the problem that gave me was that i acquired a taste for expensive equipment.

Mike
Old 13th February 2020, 09:24 AM
Friend

Hi, welcome to the forum, loads of help and pointers here, just ask away.

Like Richard said opinions on which camera is "best" will be many and varied, in 35mm my personal brand of choice is Minolta.

Cameras are a personal thing, horses for courses as they say.

But for processing one of our sponsors has a range of starter kits for sale

https://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/da...acks-206-c.asp

Somewhere to start perhaps

Ian

Last edited by CambsIan; 13th February 2020 at 09:29 AM.
Old 13th February 2020, 12:49 PM
Friend

Hi and welcome!

First off, it may help if you let us know where you are based, as info for the UK is not really helpful if you live elsewhere in the EU or USA etc.

And just looking at Ian's link, there is definitely some good stuff there.

The Paterson kit for just under £100:00 is a good buy, but is out of stock there, so it's worth checking out other places, especially anything that is being sold near to you.

https://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/pa...kit-1126-p.asp

Welcome and have fun what ever your choices end up being!

Terry S
Old 13th February 2020, 05:47 PM
Friend

Default Setting up a darkroom

First of all I hope you succeed in your venture. This forum I feel is the best place where you can get sound advice on what to buy, where to buy it, and how to avoid being ripped off.

The basic equipment you need will be quite cheap (relatively) to buy it only becomes expensive if you try to run before you can really crawl and splash out on this, that, or another.

Work out what your budget is likely to be for the essentials and as close as possible stick to it.

When film was King you could join a camera club and get all the advice you would wish for. Sadly this has now disappeared into the wild blue yonder, but the wealth and span of information that will equal (almost is available on these pages.)

Most darkroom equipment can be bought second hand in good condition from a number of suppliers. The main one who has most of all you will need is
www.Secondhanddarkroom supplies.co.uk. The company is located near to Whitney in Oxforshire

Last edited by John King; 13th February 2020 at 05:51 PM.
Old 13th February 2020, 08:25 PM
Friend

Without a darkroom the starting point is developing your films. the equipment needed is:-
1) A changing bag or a room or cupboard where you can block out all the light so you can load the films into the developing tank.
2) A developing tank and film reels; probably the easiest to find are the Patterson ones either one which takes two 35mm reels or one 120 film. You could get a bigger one taking more reels but once you get over a 1 litre size it gets a bit cumberson.
3) Thermometer.
4) I litre measururing jugs say three. The plastic ones supplied by kitchen shops are fine.
5) 2 100ml measuring graduates
6) 6 or more film clips to hang the films up to dry. These can be specialy made for films or often you can find cheaper substitutes but they do need to be able to securely grip the film.
7) A couple of stirring rods or old spoons or similar.
8) Maybe one or two bottles to keep working strength chemicals in for re-use.

For materials I would start with Ilford products.
1) For film perhaps Ilford FP4 125ASA or HP5 400ASA.
2) Developer ID11 or DDX
3) Ilfostop
4) Ilford Rapid Fix or Hypam.
5) A wetting agent for the final rinse of the washed film.

It is best to keep the utensils and tools used for the developer just for the developer and seperate containers etc for fixer and stop baths.

That's probably enough for now and when you are ready to look at a darkroom come back again. It is possible to set up somewhere to print in surpringly small spaces and use a single tray and three jugs instead of three different trays or a Jobo tank to process the paper.

Tony

Last edited by Tony Marlow; 13th February 2020 at 08:31 PM.
Old 13th February 2020, 08:43 PM
Friend

Welcome to the forum. I can't add to the advice already given. Tony Marlow's staged approach, namely film processing first is the best way and he has given a great list of stuff to get.

Once you have attempted processing a couple of films then it is worth a fuller discussion on a temporary darkroom set up.

Of course if there is a public darkroom or a course( daytime or evening) in b&w film processing and printing then certainly enrol. That way you get experience and then can decide how you can set up your own darkroom

Mike
Old 13th February 2020, 10:33 PM
Friend

Default Darkroom essentials

Actually it is the opposite to essentials, what I think puts a lot of people off and that is a running water supply. I never had a darkroom of my own with running water. Even now with the spare bedroom set aside for a darkroom I don't have running water. I would love to have the facility but the darkroom is on the wrong side of the house for drainage.

Instead the room I use, is directly opposite the bathroom and what I need is either in a 3 gallon bucket and disposed of after each session. The film developing is done in the kitchen and afterwards everything is packed away until I need it the next time.

Running water is not needed even if you were to graduate onto colour printing.

It really is easy, learn by not too may mistakes and ask questions.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies