Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Skills Swapping

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st April 2011, 02:35 PM
Friend

Leo,
Yes we must do this sometime this year and it will good to meet up with you again. I'll give it some thought and try to sort something out but I'm really busy at the moment and off to Athens at the end of the month with hopefully 75 mounted prints
J.

http://real-silver-prints.com/

"I Prefer it in the Dark"
Old 1st April 2011, 04:59 PM
Friend

Quote:
where possible to handle top quality work.
Meeting up to look at each others prints for discussion and constructive comments would be of immense benefit and enjoyment. One slight worry is the reference to top quality prints. Yes that is what we want to see and aspire to but is there a danger of making the meetings a bit elitist by frightening off those of us who do not claim to be top quality printers from bringing their own work? I would have thought as well as seeing the work of the experts, seeing work of all levels with discussion and constructive comments (euphemism for honest criticism)would benefit us all. Perhaps one delicate question is "who are the experts producing the top quality prints who us lesser mortals aspire to?" Over to you Dave! I look forward to our first meeting.

Tony
Old 1st April 2011, 05:32 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Butler View Post
Leo,
Yes we must do this sometime this year and it will good to meet up with you again. I'll give it some thought and try to sort something out but I'm really busy at the moment and off to Athens at the end of the month with hopefully 75 mounted prints
J.
Good luck Jon, ping me when back from Athens and when convenient, that said I it looks like the best would be to aim for either late June / early July or late August time frame, how would that work for you?
Old 1st April 2011, 07:12 PM
Friend

Thoroughly enjoyed printing for the first time in a while over the weekend. I have always admired great printers and I rate Andrew Sanderson among them - two of his prints in my collection, along with a couple of Blakemore's and a few others. Just order £300 ish of new paper too
Old 2nd April 2011, 06:50 AM
Friend

Don't lose any prints at customs.
I would be keen to attend any print discussions. I could probably even find my way to London.
Old 2nd April 2011, 08:40 AM
Friend

The members of Lancashire Monochrome always appreciate seeing silver gelatin prints and a number, including myself, still make our images exclusively this way. I'm very willing to host print viewing at our venue in Leyland, Lancashire, where we have ample racking and a good-sized illuminated easel plus, of course, that appreciative audience.
Old 2nd April 2011, 12:11 PM
Friend

There are a few of us here in Ireland who are both members of fadu and apug or just one of the groups and we arrange to meet twice a year for a print showing. I can arrange for us to use one of the rooms in my camera club and we spend a pleasant afternoon
showing prints. The standard is mixed but there is lots of advice on offer. A common response after each meeting is 'when can we meet again?'
As regards looking at photo's on the Internet, while not perfect it does remind me of Robert Hughes when he wrote that many people were familiar with great works of art but few had actually seen the work in person or were aware of it's size. So I'm happy to view work on the Internet as long as I have the opportunity to view photos in person.

Vincent - Not afraid of the dark
Old 2nd April 2011, 12:49 PM
Friend

Jon, I certainly agree with what you say and would like to meet up with a small group in London.

As a member of Arena I'm fortunate in being able to view 'real' prints on a regular basis as their are still quite a few 'traditional' printers within the group. I also, like many here, visit exhibitions depicting 'real' prints.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 2nd April 2011, 08:33 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Butler View Post
I wonder if it could be possible for us FADU members in the UK to meet up say 2 or 3 times a year locally for print meeting groups?

J.
It's a good idea. Somewhere central and easy to find in the UK would make it easier to meet up.
I don't dislike London, but I find it a P.I.T.A when having to drive to there and back home again with all that busy traffic.
Old 17th April 2011, 05:14 PM
Friend

I'ld be up for a meeting in the South-East.
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies