Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd September 2012, 08:58 AM
Friend

Default Flat negatives

I have just processed a couple of films in ID-11, FP4 135-36 with an expiry date of October 2013, and they look flat. The rebate markings are a solid black, so I know they have reached full development. I make up developer from raw chemicals and had made the developer up 48 hours before use; so it could not be stale developer. My other thought was: could the raw chemicals have absorbed moisture from the atmosphere, so some of the weight of the chemicals was water, in effect diluting the raw chemical. Does anybody know if it would ‘damage’ the chemicals if I dried out a quantity of the raw chemicals in a low heated oven, say at 35C for about 30 minutes and then weight out the correct amount of the ‘dried’ chemicals, thus having removed the atmospheric moisture obtaining a correct weight of chemical?
Old 23rd September 2012, 09:24 AM
Print Exchange Manager

By the rebate markings you mean the end(s) of the film that get exposed when loading the camera/film cassette.
I would have thought it highly unlikely that the raw chemicas would absorb sufficient moisture to affect the function as much as you imply. Were the Chemicals reasonably fresh and stored properly? I think some would become oxidised and rendered inaffective with time or poor storage. I would suggest you use the prepacked ID11 or D76. I use the the 1l stock and dilute it 1:1 just before use. I have used stock over 6 months old (kept longer than that recommended) in a bottle with a squirt of the Tetenal Protectan without obvious problem.
I hope you have better luck in future.
Mike
Old 23rd September 2012, 11:24 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard James View Post
I have just processed a couple of films in ID-11, FP4 135-36 with an expiry date of October 2013, and they look flat. The rebate markings are a solid black, so I know they have reached full development.
Hi Richard,

without seeing the negatives, when you mention the rebate markings, do you mean the numbers of the negatives and the Ilford branding, all along the length of the film?

If so and this seems okay, that is a sign that the developer has worked properly. I can only suggest that the cameras / your metering, is off slightly and you have underexposed. Have you checked that your camera hasn't had its exposure compensation button changed or that you haven't set the wrong ISO?

If all of the above seem okay, I would suggest running at least part of a film through, giving normal, over and underexposure for each frame and then develop it to see the results.

I'd be interested to hear you findings.

Terry S
Old 23rd September 2012, 11:38 AM
Friend

Hi Terry,
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I do mean the Ilford name and numbers along with the bar code on the the rebates. I have had another look at the film and compared it to other films processed earlier this year and come to the conclusion that there is a higher level of base fog, which has made the negatives look flat. I am going to make up a fresh batch of fixer as there is a build up of particles at the bottom of the bottle, this may mean that the fix is well shot, and I have recorded the usage level incorrectly which has resulted in an increase in base fog. I had fixed the films for 6 mins just in case I had not recorded usage. It is a good job these films can be repeated!!
Old 23rd September 2012, 01:16 PM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

As it is not too long since you processed the film then mix a fresh batch of fixer and re-fix now. If it was the fixer off then that may help to clear the fog. It is probably not too late to do this. I managed to do it with a film of somebody else's that was processed 2 -3 days earlier and it did clear. It will mean re-washing the film of course.

Bill
Old 23rd September 2012, 02:55 PM
Friend

Hi Bill,
Thanks for that reminder, a good idea.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies