Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Introductions

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th September 2014, 12:15 AM
New User

Smile Retracing my steps after many years

The reason I registered here is that you have a pdf user manual for a Jobo CPE which I got off eBay. Thanks - its a rarity now.
Way back in 1970 I used a tiny space under the stairs in my parents home, just big enough for a Gnome enlarger and developing dishes. I did BW and even tried color work and reversal. Then like others on FADU I went off to college and found myself thirty years later in USA shooting videos on a Sony VX and then a Canon digital camera.
Well I am back home in Scotland and live in a house where I can use my kitchen for a darkroom.
I just got a Speed Graphic and so I am re-learning BW work as well as sometimes leaving the shutter open when I pull the darkslide, but I have created some nice 4x5 negs which I will shortly try making 10x8 prints.
I have converted an obselete Graphic back into a 4x5 negative holder together with a LED cold light source, using the Ektar lens as a projector. (Maybe I will post the How-To later)
One thing I notice is the dearth of darkroom suppliers and it seems, the sharp rise in the cost of consummables. I already bought some powdered Hypo and sulphite chemicals and just maybe I will try making the developer too. I haven't had so much fun in ages.
Old 19th September 2014, 07:21 AM
Friend

Hi, and welcome. There's a couple of other Scots lurking about here.
As film use diminished lots changed. There's just no market for new equipment, so the supply of new film cameras, enlarger etc has just gone. You can but new LF camera or Leica, but that's about it!
Film and paper prices shot up a couple of years back but is currently more stable. I suspect most folk here have a freezer stuffed with favourite goodies 'just in case'.
You'll like FADU. Friendliest and most helpful forum around,
Old 19th September 2014, 08:24 AM
Friend

Welcome from me too. Improvisations and conversions always make for interesting reading!
Old 19th September 2014, 10:30 AM
Friend

Welcome to FADU. Of all the cameras there are, I always think that the Speed Graphic "looks the part". Might be all the Hollywood films of course. I was especially impressed with the assassination scene in the film "Foreign Correspondent with Joel McCrea where there must be 20-30 photographers all with what appears to be Speed Graphics and all vying for a photo of the Dutch Prime Minister. I won't say any more in case you haven't seen it and some day get a chance but that scene was well choreographed

We are a nice group but some of us do ramble a bit as you can see

Mike
Old 19th September 2014, 11:54 AM
Friend

Hi and welcome to Fadu, many years ago, more than I care to remember, I too had a cubby hole under the stairs, a Gnome enlarger and a few dishes, now I have a permant darkroom, here are some good suppliers around for mail order that can supply everything you might need, just look at our sponsors, or Firstcall Photographic, and you will see that there is still a big following for film and darkroom, and most things are still being sold, including enlargers
Richard
Old 19th September 2014, 12:29 PM
Friend

Welcome to Fadu!

MonoArt - fine photographs
Old 19th September 2014, 01:01 PM
Friend

Hi and welcome
Old 19th September 2014, 02:11 PM
Friend

welcome Carstairs look forward to seeing some of your prints.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 20th September 2014, 04:44 AM
Friend

Welcome to the forum.
Richard
Old 20th September 2014, 06:54 AM
Friend

Welcome to FADU.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies