Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 13th November 2020, 03:42 PM
Friend

An ES bulb is unfortunately no use in a Durst enlarger that uses the tungsten/halogen bulb that has the fitting I mentioned. It might be that LEDs in the fitting that is needed will never be made as that fitting is for a market that is just too small to be bothered about

If this is the case then it's a pity but there we are.

Mike
Old 13th November 2020, 04:39 PM
Friend

Default Led

I am grasping at straws here but the lamp bases are the same, It may or may not be the difference between dimmable and not dimmable, but my money is still with my timer not being compatible.
Old 13th November 2020, 04:52 PM
Friend

My experience with room lights is that a non-dimmable bulb flickers maddeningly if used in a dimmable light source.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 13th November 2020, 04:54 PM
Friend

In think that you are probably correct, there is a problem with your timer, I can't see anything else that would cause a problem like you describe, shame as led bulbs for me seem to have plenty of advantages without the disadvantages of normal enlarger bulbs, especially the heat, always had to check sharpness just before exposure and always after checking Exposure Ect they woul be out of focus, these days one check at the start, no problems, it makes darkroom life a lot easier
Richard
Old 13th November 2020, 04:57 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
An ES bulb is unfortunately no use in a Durst enlarger that uses the tungsten/halogen bulb that has the fitting I mentioned. It might be that LEDs in the fitting that is needed will never be made as that fitting is for a market that is just too small to be bothered about

If this is the case then it's a pity but there we are.

Mike
I don't know yoiir enlarger, but would it be possible to change the lamp holder?
Richard
Old 13th November 2020, 05:23 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
I don't know yoiir enlarger, but would it be possible to change the lamp holder?
Richard
This may not be impossible but the difficulties and cost in terms of time and effort would make it not worthwhile, Richard

Mike
Old 13th November 2020, 10:41 PM
Friend

It isn't my enlarger it is only on long term loan. I cannot see what benefit changing the lamp holder would do, I think it is my type of electronic timer. I will make do with a tungsten bulb
Old 14th November 2020, 10:00 AM
Print Exchange Manager

I am currently still using a tungsten 150W bulb in my Durst M800. I have a number of them that were in a copy stand liberated from work many moons ago. It would otherwise have gone into a skip as many bits of older Laboratory equipment like perfectly working spectrophotometers did at the time, one of which I rescued and gave to the local school.

Mike
Old 14th November 2020, 10:55 AM
Friend

In my experience, VC paper gives better results with a lower contrast negative, even with a diffusion enlarger. Just select a higher contrast filter/light setting.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies