Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   Keyphoto   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   RK Photo   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies   Silverprint Ltd

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 11th December 2011, 10:10 PM
Friend

Default Durst 401 head vs condenser

Hi all,

my first post here - and I'd like to get your opinions on an enlarger head. I have a durst 1000 and it came with a condenser type head (with all the lenses etc) but also with a 401 head. Now I have most of the bits to make the 401 head work (fans etc) but would need to make up boxes etc to hold transformers, switching etc. So basically a bit of work involved in setting it up. It does power up and work though.

Now here's my question: I'm printing B&W on multigrade paper, using ilford multigrade filters using the condenser head. Is there any advantage to using the colour head? Should I go to the bother of setting up the colour head?

Ta in advance!!
Old 11th December 2011, 10:39 PM
Friend

I wouldn't bother.
You will get sharper prints with the condenser system.
You already have filters which are speed matched at 0.3 on fresh MGIV paper. i.e. work out print time for a highlight fro speed matching.
You can do fine contrast control of print using a water bath or secondary developer.
You don't need a tranformer with a condenser system (at least I don't think so).
You will be sure of what actual grade you are printing at by using the ilford filters (not that it really matters).

Last edited by Argentum; 11th December 2011 at 10:44 PM.
Old 11th December 2011, 11:07 PM
Friend

if you want contrast stick to the condensor and when using multigrade paper use filters, and if you havent yet try kentmere bromide I think you can only buy it in grade 2&3.this will show you how good a condensor enlarger is .
Old 11th December 2011, 11:35 PM
Friend

Thanks gents - saves me at least a good night of work putting the colour head into workable shape.

Another question if I may: I need a timer switch for the enlarger. Looking for something cheap - any ideas or recommendations of what to get? There's a durst "DES100AT" automatic exposure system on ebay at the moment, but I can't see how it would switch the enlarger - I think other modules (a relay box?) to make it work. Simpler would probably be better?
Old 11th December 2011, 11:38 PM
Friend

Hi Chisel and welcome to FADU. In addition to the advice given and I am sure more to come, have a look at the thread: De Vere 504 Dichromat Filtration Setting where on page 2 there are some posts pertaining to under the lens filters.

Mike
Old 11th December 2011, 11:44 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Hi Chisel and welcome to FADU. In addition to the advice given and I am sure more to come, have a look at the thread: De Vere 504 Dichromat Filtration Setting where on page 2 there are some posts pertaining to under the lens filters.

Mike
I think the durst has an above the lens filter drawer. I could be wrong though.

I rekon under the lens are good for 35mm and medium format. Not so sure for 4x5 because the kit fittings may or may not be big enough to fit over all enlarger lenses and the size of them. That means rigging something else and possibly the filters aren't big enough to cover the lens. In which case you need the bigger square filters and to rig something so over the lens is really much easier on a 4x5 I think.

Last edited by Argentum; 11th December 2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old 11th December 2011, 11:52 PM
Friend

The filter drawer takes quite larger filters - but I'm missing that, so I've rigged an attachment that holds the smaller ilford filters under the lens (using a 50mm for 35mm film). This all sits on the column that holds the red "safe" filter.

off to read that linked thread -thanks again!
Old 12th December 2011, 12:07 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisel View Post
Thanks gents - saves me at least a good night of work putting the colour head into workable shape.

Another question if I may: I need a timer switch for the enlarger. Looking for something cheap - any ideas or recommendations of what to get? There's a durst "DES100AT" automatic exposure system on ebay at the moment, but I can't see how it would switch the enlarger - I think other modules (a relay box?) to make it work. Simpler would probably be better?
I assume you are using a 75 or 100 watt opal bulb which means your lead from that goes straight to your timer. So all you need is the correct type of plug for the timer on the end of that lead. Most modern ones use a d-sub type plug but you need to check the timer to be sure.
It makes little difference which timer if you aren't going for a fancy one like the RH Designs stopclock.
Digital ones are nice. The Durst labotim is basic but a good timer.

kaiser or paterson make digital ones.

nova have a couple http://www.novadarkroom.com/product/546/SH_Timers.html

the DES100AT looks pretty old to me but it has a d-sub plug fitting for your lamp lead which is pretty standard.

you could phone northern photo and see if they have a labotim going cheap.
Old 12th December 2011, 12:18 AM
Friend

Thanks Argentum - yes, all I'm using is the standard lamp (240V 75W ES27) in the enlarger, with a simple switch on the lead at the moment to turn it on and off.

I was confused about the durst DES100 from ebay - I couldn't figure out if it would work on its own, or did it need some other box to make it work (ie would it switch the ~240V to the lamp). I'm not worried about having to rewire plugs/sockets - that I can do!

I think I'll go ahead and buy it. Its a reasonable price and the guy seems decent enough. I just got caught up in whether there was some other bit needed. Didn't help that there are no manuals online except one in french - and my french ain't great!
Old 12th December 2011, 01:04 AM
Friend

Check before you buy because if the one I'm looking at is the same as the one you're suggesting it has a transformer and that usually means it has 12V or 24V output which is not what you want. I was looking at the DES101. I'm not sure about the DES100. Sorry for confusion.

Last edited by Argentum; 12th December 2011 at 01:08 AM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   Keyphoto   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   RK Photo   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies   Silverprint Ltd