Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Print Exchanges

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd November 2018, 08:26 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciavnuckova View Post
I received beautiful picture from Marty yesterday. It's a photo of lake that looks very peaceful with stunningly looking reeds and hills in the backround. At first it seemed to me like the reeds were drawn or carved into the photo, they stand out so much and it gives the photo great atmosphere. Thanks, Marty.
Thank you, Lucia.

I was getting worried there for a while because the post was taking so long and the so-called post office worker was getting confused between Slovakia and Slovenia!

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 5th November 2018, 10:33 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
Hi Fran,
Print safely here. It apparently came a couple of days ago, but I was away for work. A Scottish church shot on Ilford SFX 200; looking forward to seeing it in the gallery.
Fran, where was this?? I know you think it might be a well photographed location, but I can't place it. Also curious as to how you find the Kiev camera. Russian cameras seem to have a bad rep- agricultural seems popular word, but I've found my little Zorki to be a gem.
Also- you're thinking about reducing your dev time? Are you finding your negs too contrasty? It's hard to judge from a single print, but I'd have been pleased if this print was one of mine.
All the best, and thank you for the print.
Hi all,

Sorry its been so long since I came back to this. The church is in Iceland, a place called Ulfljotsvatnskirkja Church.l It sits in the lee of a hill, overlooking a large lake, red roof, white walls, small graveyard around it. Lovely place if you ever get to visit.

The camera - well, its worked flawlessly for me. The metering is spot on, lenses cheap and excellent quality, no batteries bar the meter and the view finder large and clear (although I only use the metered prism). Mine is a 88cm which I think is the more modern version and it takes pentacon 6 mount lenses. From reading around this model seems to have fewer film transport issues than Kiev 6 or the earlier 88 models. I think its somewhat simpler as well because the shutter is in the body rather than in the lens (might be what makes them cheaper). I did have to do the light seals in the backs I have, but the hasselblad kit works for that.

What I found on the SFX200 is that I was running out of contrast when printing, at least using the head I have on the enlarger. I could use the ilford multigrade gel which I think would get me a harder grade too. I just think that SFX benefits from a hard short develop in Rodinal to emphasise the grain a bit. Its actually also a really lovely non-IR film to use as well. From a small test, I think the rollei IR gives more IR effect with an R72 filter.

Fran
Old 6th November 2018, 08:51 PM
Friend

Hi Fran.
Glad you're enjoying the camera. I've been using Mamiya TLR's for a long time, and a while back I got itchy to try something new. Luckily I got over it- the Mamiyas are tough, the bellows focussing goes close, and a camera plus four lens kit actually packs quite small. I hope the Kiev serves you well.
I agree, Rollei IR400 gives a stronger IR effect than SFX. I have had some good results from SFX with a deep filter, but I'm tending towards the Rollei now. In 120 format it makes really smooth, fine toned images.
Thank you once again for the print.
Old 6th November 2018, 09:07 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
Just got back from posting mine
Richard
Richard - I feel so bad its been so long since I replied here. The prints came safe and sound a couple of weeks back. I was away with work and the missus put them "somewhere safe". Well it took until tonight to find that somewhere safe! Anyhow, 2 lovely prints here from Jersey.

Thank you very much, and my apologies for the lateness of reply.

Fran
Old 6th November 2018, 09:45 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisel View Post
Richard - I feel so bad its been so long since I replied here. The prints came safe and sound a couple of weeks back. I was away with work and the missus put them "somewhere safe". Well it took until tonight to find that somewhere safe! Anyhow, 2 lovely prints here from Jersey.

Thank you very much, and my apologies for the lateness of reply.

Fran
Thanks Fran, I was getting a bit worried, glad they got there safe and sound
Richard
Old 8th November 2018, 02:17 PM
Friend

Just recieved a beautifully atmospheric print from Luciavnuckova. Taken in a bar in Bratislava. I must visit that charming city again soon!
Old 8th November 2018, 06:36 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
Thank you, Lucia.

I was getting worried there for a while because the post was taking so long and the so-called post office worker was getting confused between Slovakia and Slovenia!
Does this still happen?
Old 8th November 2018, 06:39 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Archer View Post
Just recieved a beautifully atmospheric print from Luciavnuckova. Taken in a bar in Bratislava. I must visit that charming city again soon!
Thanks, Rob. =) I don't know, why it took so long, according to tracking it was in the UK at the end of October. Come say hello to me and JakubV if you're ever in Bratislava again.

Lucia
Old 15th November 2018, 01:02 PM
Print Exchange Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
And posted yesterday (Thursday 01 November 2018) by first class post as I said, so it should be with the recipient today (Friday 02 Nov 2018) or tomorrow (Saturday) all going well.

And now I should start straight away on November's offering, whilst my Nova chemicals are still fresh from being recently replaced.

Terry S
Yesterday, I received a second print from Terry - and I thought it was my November receipt dropping through the post box! It is the same photo as the original but on different paper for comparison. I haven't been able to compare them yet but will do so soon.
Thanks, Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies