Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th September 2019, 09:46 AM
Friend

Default Point and Shoot

My daughter is going on a school trip next year and she would like to take a film camera. She has an Olympus IS200 which does the job but is quite bulky.

What she really needs is a compact camera with autofocus and maybe a zoom option(Although not really needed). I don't want it to be too expensive in case it gets lost.

So can anyone recommend some?

Thanks
David
Old 30th September 2019, 10:27 AM
Friend

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F333341169947 Something like this Pentax would be ideal. Most of the big brand 35mm compacts can give decent results. I like the Olympus mju with a zoom lens. The fixed lens mjus are silly money. You may want to look at 35mm compacts that use aaa or aa batteries some of the compacts have expensive bats.
Old 30th September 2019, 10:51 AM
Print Exchange Manager

I may be able to help.

I have two that might suit which I would be prepared to part with and be happy to see used rather than in a cupboard:

Pentax Espio120SW (Date) in its box with case and instructions

Olympus mju-III wide-100 (all weather)

The choice is yours.

I have put batteries in them and they both work.

My only reservations about these cameras is that they are quite noisy and with the Olympus the flash insists on popping up and it decides whether to fire or not and won't expose if you close it down.

I would include the battery if you want to pursue this but Royal Mail have become funny about batteries in the post.

Mike
Old 30th September 2019, 11:10 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHeller View Post
I may be able to help.

I have two that might suit which I would be prepared to part with and be happy to see used rather than in a cupboard:

The choice is yours.

My only reservations about these cameras is that they are quite noisy and with the Olympus the flash insists on popping up and it decides whether to fire or not and won't expose if you close it down.

I would include the battery if you want to pursue this but Royal Mail have become funny about batteries in the post.

Mike
Hi Mike

Thats very kind of you. I think she will be going to some museums so the Olympus may be an issue with the flash so the Pentax may be the best bet if thats ok with you. Not to worry about batteries as I have several types.

Thanks
David
Old 30th September 2019, 11:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
I may be able to help.

The choice is yours.

Mike

Well that is the sort of thing I do, well done that person

Old 30th September 2019, 11:31 AM
Friend

The light conditions may be fine for a range of film speeds but as the mju is fully auto and obeys the DX code on the cassette with no over-ride I'd be tempted to use a 400 speed film as a minimum just in case.

The best compromise if this is available to you Quendil if you have bulk loaded HP5+ and a Fuji 800 speed used colour cassette is attaching the HP5+ to that.

If she is a fan of colour and thinks b&w is "old hat" then a new cassette of Fuji 800 or Portra 800 might fill the bill at a price

Just a thought

Mike

Mike
Old 30th September 2019, 11:54 AM
Friend

Quote:
Mike
Royal Mail may have relaxed a bit. When I was sending a camera last week, the guidance in the Post Office referred specifically to Lithium.
Old 30th September 2019, 12:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Royal Mail may have relaxed a bit. When I was sending a camera last week, the guidance in the Post Office referred specifically to Lithium.
100%

batteries are posted every day except lithium
Old 30th September 2019, 02:42 PM
Print Exchange Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
The batteries that I have are both Lithium so still a problem. What is the problem with them in the post anyway that doesn't apply to other types? I am sure that I ordered them on-line and they came by post and were at least delivered by Royal Mail.
Mike
Old 30th September 2019, 02:46 PM
Friend

I think new batteries are ok as long as still sealed

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies