Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 14th May 2011, 08:20 PM
Friend

Default Sheet Film

Perhaps you may try T-Max 400 in 5/4 sheet then Dave, or can we use our influence to get Ilford to produce a short run of Delta 400 in 5/4 sheet with the ULF run order?
Huges.
Old 15th May 2011, 06:56 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes View Post
Perhaps you may try T-Max 400 in 5/4 sheet then Dave, or can we use our influence to get Ilford to produce a short run of Delta 400 in 5/4 sheet with the ULF run order?
Huges.
Influence with Ilford, me? I'll stick with the Tmax, lovely film.
Old 15th May 2011, 07:16 AM
Friend

I've moved Hughes' post to a new thread to avoid confusing the thread in which it was posted.

I think he raises an interesting point for it has always puzzled me why Harman don't cut Delta400 to suit the larger formats but only off Delta in ISO100 in 5x4 and 10x8. It's a question I raised with them some years ago, which remains unanswered. Does anyone know the reason?

For myself I'm very pleased with the Tmax400 I have been trying in 120 format and plan to try it in 5x4 later this year. First I need to see how it reacts to pyro developers.
Old 15th May 2011, 11:03 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I've moved Hughes' post to a new thread to avoid confusing the thread in which it was posted.

I think he raises an interesting point for it has always puzzled me why Harman don't cut Delta400 to suit the larger formats but only off Delta in ISO100 in 5x4 and 10x8. It's a question I raised with them some years ago, which remains unanswered. Does anyone know the reason?

For myself I'm very pleased with the Tmax400 I have been trying in 120 format and plan to try it in 5x4 later this year. First I need to see how it reacts to pyro developers.
It is odd indeed why Ilford discontinued Delta 400 in sheet film. However I've been pleasantly surprised on the quality of T-Max 400 in 4x5. Although I prefered the look of the older TMY emulsion the new TMY-2 prints remarkably well even when obviously underexposed. It has taken me sometime to get used to the obvious blue base and the lack of stain in PMK pyro compared to TMY and certainly HP5.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 15th May 2011, 01:26 PM
Friend

Quote:
"Men can see nothing around them that is not their own image; everything speaks to them of themselves. Their very landscape is alive", Guy Debord, 'Theory of the Derive'

I quite agree, but then I already said that.

Quote:
For me, I feel that we project onto (or into) an image. What we are, our background, our culture, our chosen philosophy, our chosen (or inherited) religion, will affect the way we see things. Remember the 'ink blots' test? They were just that, just 'ink blots'. What the candidate said he saw, was not based on the ink blots themselves, but what the candidate projected of himself-in other words the candidate told of how he thought. When we view an image, we speak of things that already move us in terms of what we see in front of us.
Old 15th May 2011, 06:57 PM
Friend

Thumbs up Film Types 54

Hi Dave,
I seem to remember reading on our site, that Ilford threw away the last part of production of 54 delta 400, but I suspect that was a long time ago. Film is once again a growing market.
From analising my own projects I have now formed an impression of the suitability for a given film to subject matter; eg Tx Street/ journalistic and atmosperic castles, T-grain films New archetecture a modern look, Pan-F Waterfalls and son-on; FP4 great but sometimes a bit slow. EG push for Y8filter, white archetechure, dev return, bellows and there's 2 1/2 stops gone. Not much good for breaking waves on the rocks! with the dev control from sheet film.
I have yet to try T-max 54 but I would bet on it having a different character to 400 Delta. I still think its worth a mail to wake up Ilford.
Thanks for your interest.
Hughes
Hampshire
Old 15th May 2011, 07:02 PM
Friend

I guess it also depends on the degree of enlargement anticipated, since I rarly go beyond 12"x16" then the grain from a 400iso film is all but invisible so I would rather have the extra couple of stops available at the shooting stage; hence my preference for 400iso film.
By all means contact Harman and ask, it's not much point me doing so since they don't reply to my emails; it may have been something I said, although I can't imagine what.
Old 15th May 2011, 07:11 PM
Friend

Why not use HP5 it's easy to use and I get super negs developed in Pyrocat.
J.

http://real-silver-prints.com/

"I Prefer it in the Dark"
Old 18th May 2011, 09:06 AM
Friend

Another vote here for HP5. Delta 400 is slightly sharper, and has a touch less grain but it would probably take a 40" x 50" enlargement to show up these differences.

Alan
Old 18th May 2011, 09:44 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Butler View Post
Why not use HP5 it's easy to use and I get super negs developed in Pyrocat.
J.
Because I no longer buy Harman products.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies