Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Chemical formulae

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 11th March 2009, 01:07 PM
Friend

Default Ilford Stop Bath dilution?

At present I use Ilford Stop Bath at its recommended 1 to 19 and at that dilution the instructions says it stops the developer in about 10 seconds. As the ventilation in my darkroom is not the best I would like to breath a little bit easier. Can I dilute further still and reduce the odour and exdend the time in the bath say to a minute as generally I'm not in rush?
John
Lincoln
Old 11th March 2009, 01:12 PM
Friend

John, if the fumes are too problematic why not give Fotospeed's SB50 odourless stop bath a try? I use it for that very reason. I also use their FX30 odourless fix.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 11th March 2009, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Odd I thought - Ilfostop should not have any odour. It is citric acid based and as such should be essentially odourless. The more common acetic acid based stops do have a very strong vinegar odour.

You can dilute it I guess but it will obviously exhaust quicker so keep an eye on the colour and change it as soon as it starts to show it is loosing its acidity.

I use Fotospeed's odourless indicator stop too (which is also citric acid based). and can confirm it has no detectable odour. The most objectionable odour to me comes from the fixer so I use a low-odour version there too (I don't think completely zero-odour is possible with fixer) . Again, Fotospeed do a low-odour one but I use Agfa FX Universal as it is much cheaper...
Old 11th March 2009, 01:31 PM
Friend

Not much help for odour but if you are looking for cheap stop bath, then ask your local fuji colour minilab to get you a 5 litre bottle of fuji acetic acid stop. It comes as 60% solution for less than £20. I still have a a bottle and half of the agfa equivalent which I don't think you can get any more. Lasts a very very very long time.
I dilute it down into a 1 litre bottle at 25% for stock solution and then dilute to between 0.5% and 1.5% depending on use. Using stock at 25% makes calculating how much to use a breeze. 4ml of stock contains 1 ml of acid.
Old 11th March 2009, 02:28 PM
Friend

H ave you got hold of some old Ilford stop bath? Ilford shoud be odour free, I use fotospeed oudourless stop bath and fixer which work a treat,Richard.
Old 11th March 2009, 03:35 PM
Friend

Thanks, yes using old stock up! time to move on so I think I will go with the odourless fixer as well it will all help.
John
Lincoln
Old 11th March 2009, 08:00 PM
Friend

I'm using old Ilfostop, too. I dilute it to about 1:40 and it seems to work well and smells a lot less. You'll just need to replace it more often. Even at higher dilutions the purple exhaustion indicator shows up well.

Rob
Old 12th March 2009, 02:09 PM
Friend

I always dilute the Stop Bath more than recommended (for the odour) and then chuck it when it starts to look "dirty" yellow.

I treat Stop very much as a consumable, with RC paper it might last 2 print sessions but with FB it sometimes doesn't make it to the end of one print session without a slight top up to keep it acidic and then dumped at the end.

When doing prints which I intend to Tone, I use the standard Stop Bath dilution and a precise time - after reading Tim Rudmans book where he states that even the lenght and time in the Stop Bath can have an effect on Print Tone

Martin
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies