Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th March 2014, 08:38 PM
Friend

Default Ilford Cooltone FB ?

How cold is it? Brovira cold, Forte Polygrade cold? Also, how flat does it dry? Thanks.
Old 17th March 2014, 09:34 AM
Friend

It depends what you develop it in. I've no experience of the older papers you mention (too young!) but it's noticeably cooler than MGIV FB in any given developer. I use a home-brewed dev called E72, which is just a ascorbic acid-based version of D72 (Dektol) which gives it almost a blue-black tone. The base paper is a very cold white so in a warn-tone dev it gives neutral shadows and mid-tones with very cool highlights. It also cools a bit more in selenium toner, although don't overdo it or the shadows start to turn purple-ish rather than blue-black (unless you like that effect!)

The only colder paper I've found is Kentmere Bromide in E72/D72

I'll post some scans of my efforts with it this evening.

Rob
Old 17th March 2014, 01:19 PM
Friend

Thank you Rob. My developer of choice is Moersch Eco 4812, an ascorbic-based developer and Eukobrom from Tetenal, both cold working. Another cold tone paper is said to be Slavich Unibrom.
Old 18th March 2014, 08:07 AM
Friend

When Ilford first released Cooltone in RC they advised that in order to get the coolest tone development should be increased from 2 to 3 minutes. Have any users found that this is the case with the FB version?
Old 18th November 2019, 01:12 PM
Friend

Default Any one tried Ilford's RC Cooltone paper? Reviews please. :)

Resurrecting this thread, as I'm thinking of getting a small pack of Ilford's RC Cooltone paper to try out.

I have one of Ilford's swatch packs of their papers, and the base seems a bit whiter than most papers, giving a different look to prints.

Has anyone tried the RC paper, developing it preferably in their MG developer?

Terry S
Old 18th November 2019, 03:42 PM
Friend

Not quite Terry. In my case and others who went on the Ilford tour in 2006 we were given both the RC Cooltone paper and the Ilford Cooltone developer.

This combination was amazing. Compared to RC in normal MG developer the prints were almost "icy" so much so that looking at one it appeared to have a tinge of blue - that's how cold it was.

Unfortunately fairly shortly thereafter Ilford stopped making Cooltone developer.

I have never tried another CT developer to see how much difference, if any, the Ilford CT developer made and once I finished the CT paper I never bothered to buy more as it wasn't the kind of paper I was going to make enough use of

So in short I never tried the CT paper in the Ilford MG developer so cannot compare and contrast it to CT paper in CT developer

I hope this helps

Mike
Old 18th November 2019, 03:57 PM
Friend

Okay, thanks for those comments Mike. I didn't realise the cool developer had been discontinued.

I've just looked and see others are available, but I'm now wondering what the paper would look like in MG developer, or if maybe a formula is available to make some?

Terry S

PS Having just checked, I found TWO formulas given as cool-ish, so I don't know how they compares to the original? But, I have all the chemicals, so I will probably give it a go when I get the paper (and the right neg required apparently).

http://www.lostlabours.co.uk/photogr..._wam_tones.htm

Last edited by Terry S; 18th November 2019 at 04:13 PM.
Old 18th November 2019, 04:42 PM
Administrator

I have used Tetanol Dokumol in the past with Polygrade - very cold. Might be worth a try with Cooltone?
Old 18th November 2019, 05:00 PM
Friend

Thanks for that Barry. I'll check it out later.

Terry S
Old 21st November 2019, 05:27 PM
Friend

I have been using ilford cooltone paper from it's first release. It gets its coolness from it's arctic white tone giving it a high contrast a bit like kentmere paper.

I wrote what I thought about the paper in a blog post. If you are interested.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies