Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th March 2018, 01:28 PM
Friend

Default C41 processing problems

I've successfully processed quite a few colour films now, using a Paterson tank and a Nova film processor as the tempering bath. However at the weekend I developed a roll of Kodak Pro Image 100 (which I asked about in a previous post), and upon printing a couple of frames last night I could see two annoying faults which I'm sure other forum members will recognise:

If you look at the scan you will see shadows extending downwards from the sprocket holes. To be fair the sky was burned in with twice the exposure of the ground.

There are also two brown blobs in the sky, which show up in the negative as thin patches.

I am quite sure the problem is not with the film, as I have used two other rolls without these issues.

[Sorry, I have no idea why the picture is on its side, the original file isn't!]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	2839  
Old 7th March 2018, 02:55 PM
Friend

Edmund.

It looks like they correspond with the sprocket holes of your film? My understanding is that the “blobs” that you see are the result of slight uneven development. The flow of developer over/around your film during agitation near those sprocket holes differs from that of the middle area of your film.

I’m not sure what the best solution is (different or more gentle agitation?). I’m sure that it’s very slight on your negative, knowing that you burned it in at the top of your print. Perhaps some others can chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 7th March 2018, 03:23 PM
Friend

Default Uneven development

I will go along with more gentle agitation. I processed a roll of 120 FP4+ two or three years back. The subject was farm fencing in bright sunlight on snow. There were streaks up from the top of the posts to the top of the frame where the developer had not worked as well as elsewhere on the film.

The next roll (also done in a Jobo CPE2) was set with the rotation speed set at half speed with a similar subject. The streaks from the dark posts were non existent.
The 'blobs' in the sky i would put down as plain water splashes before the developer got to work. I base this on the lack of sharp edges around the defect.
Don't worry Edmund, everyone comes across things like this once in a while. Next week they will be forgotten.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies