Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 8th March 2020, 02:58 PM
Friend

Default Another Eye: Women Refugee Photographers in Britain After 1933

A new exhibition at the Four Corners gallery in east London features work by female photographers who fled their own countries due to Nazi persecution and then worked in the UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/...on-in-pictures

Nick
Old 8th March 2020, 03:26 PM
Friend

thanks Collas I do like looking at old photos in black and white and the story behind them ..keep up the good work
Old 8th March 2020, 03:45 PM
Friend

Thanks, Nick. Just a pity that the Gallery wasn't closer

Mike
Old 9th March 2020, 02:03 PM
Friend

For some time now, the story of photographers Of the interwar years has intrigued me. All my working life, I have collected portraits many of which have been by Austrian and German photographers. As I was preparing to write and publish a book about portraiture, I learned that thirty-four percent of Viennese photographers were Jewish and, three quarters of the photo studios in Vienna, before 1938, were run by Jewish women.

I am intrigued by the stories of some who fled to Britain or the United States, some who hid, some who worked on German or Italian government contracts (e.g. documenting archaeologic sites newly accessible as a result of German conquests), some who worked for the German government more directly on propaganda, and some who were murdered.

Jewish celebrities (for example Einstein) and other wealthy and influential people (for example the Post publishing family) were active in helping emigrant photographers find a role in America.

The amount of talent that was lost to Europe at that time is astonishing.
Old 9th March 2020, 02:11 PM
Friend

While celebrating and acknowledging the work done by these photographers, it amused me to see the glossing over of some of the details of these photographers.
One quote:
"Edith Tudor-Hart, who escaped from Austria in 1933 after being persectuted (sic) for her communist sympathies and Jewish background."
This is the same Edith Tudor-Hart who was instrumental in recruiting Kim Philby and managed Anthony Blunt of the Cambridge Spy ring, which infiltrated British intelligence from World War II through to the late 1960s.
Old 9th March 2020, 06:06 PM
Friend

well I did not know that ….they say you learn something new everyday .thanks for the info Bill
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies