Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th November 2015, 09:51 PM
Friend

Default Paterson changing bag for LF?

Anybody using this bag for loading/unloading DDS holders (size, static charge dust...)?

http://www.patersonphotographic.com/...ebc00c6db476bc

Thank you.
Old 30th November 2015, 10:23 PM
Friend

Hi Miha,

I believe that I still own and have used the following;
2 different change bags, one similar or identical to the one you have linked. One being vinyl like and the other heavy cotton.
A Calumet changing room
A Fuji darkbox
And a Harrison change tent.

My preference is in reverse order.

The main problem with the change bags is that they sag, so there is no real space in which to work. The Calumet changing room is okay but I find the position for your arms is at an annoyingly awkward height at least when you're sitting. It pops up and folds flat. The Fuji is in many ways the best of the lot in that it offers the most space but it's not very transportable being rather big and heavy. And the Harrison tent is a good compromise especially for travel as it rolls up but it's also the most expensive.
Regarding dust, static charge, and sweatiness! I think they are all equally prone and much alike and it probably depends more on your working conditions and method.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950

Last edited by MartyNL; 30th November 2015 at 10:38 PM.
Old 30th November 2015, 11:26 PM
Friend

Miha,

When I first started in LF I used a changing bag for a 10-day backpacking trip. I found the sag very annoying, but worse was the dust that accumulated on my film, ruining some of the best shots - definitely not worth it. I have to agree with Marty about the Harrison. I splurged on the standard size tent and have never looked back, a very wise decision IMO. Age issues have had a toll on the backpacking, so the Harrison is no longer subjected to as much dust, but it's still a godsend for changing in the back of my truck and is sufficient for use with 8x10 film. I still kept the changing bag, after a thorough cleaning, but have yet to use it, preferring to load/unload holders in my dust-controlled darkroom. However, even the Harrison does not solve the inevitable sneeze/itch dilemma.

Last edited by Jerry Bodine; 30th November 2015 at 11:37 PM.
Old 1st December 2015, 12:20 AM
Friend

I have that bag which I have used for several years loading 35mm and 120 into tanks, and loading/unloading IR films. I started 4x5 in the summer and initially used it to load my film. It's not really large enough for that. I have recently only used it to load one holder at a time. I moved on to the Changing Room, and although it works, it is not ideal. I agree with Marty about the awkward sleeve position, and it's not really large enough. I haven't found a dust problem with either, but I tend to keep them indoors, and our climate probably reduces dust issues. I don't think I would buy a Paterson changing bag as my main means of loading film holders, but to be fair to the product, I don't think it was really designed for that.
Alex.
Old 1st December 2015, 06:05 AM
Friend

I have 2 patterson type bags that I will never use and like Marty have owned the Fuji dark box which was good but could only be darkroom based, I have had for a long time a Harrison Pup tent which is really good and would not want to use anything else it is also very well made and I think will see me out.
Richard
Old 1st December 2015, 11:39 AM
Friend

Thank you all, I will skip this bag then. My current (Kaiser?) is quite tight when loading DDS holders but I love it because so far I got no dust on film. A tent would be best but I'm not spending over 200 pounds on it. I see Ag has a more affordable one available on their site that might fit my bil: http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/pop...ent-2575-p.asp
Old 1st December 2015, 11:52 AM
Friend

Hi Miha. The Ag tent looks identical to the Calumet Changing Room mentioned by Marty and myself above. It works, but the position of the sleeves is awkward, and it's not that big inside. You can do two holders at a time in it, but you need to be careful to avoid scratching the film.
Alex
Old 1st December 2015, 12:18 PM
Friend

Hi Alex, you (and Marty) are quite right about the position of the sleeves. Meanwhile I have found a really large bag that would allow a (shoe) box in which would keep the bag off of my hands.

https://www.macodirect.de/film/film-...gross-90x110cm

another one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional.../dp/B00AFY11GS
Old 1st December 2015, 01:02 PM
Friend

I had one of those Paterson bags when I started out (think I've still got it somewhere). Soon upgraded to the Calumet popup tent thing and never looked back. It's superb for the money, especially compared to the price of the Harrison tents, been using mine very happily for 5x4 for years now. I regularly do a pile of 6-10 holders in mine at the same time.

The placement of the sleeves seems to cause some folk some problems but not me - if you use it when you're stood up with it on a worktop or high table then it's fine. Just don't expect to sit at a desk with in in front of you, you need to have it at a lower level in front of you.
Old 1st December 2015, 01:04 PM
Friend

I have used a large changing bag in the past to load/unload 5x4 holders. Putting a cardboard box inside keeps the material out of the way, I then switched to the Calumet pop-up tent (same as the one at AG) - Whilst it is not the most compact design when travelling, it has a reasonable amount of room inside.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies