Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 12th September 2017, 10:32 PM
Friend

Default Steve Sherman's split grade printing technique

So while in the UK over the Summer, I watched one of Steve Sherman's videos;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uRlq8CwVvws

My curiosity got the better of me and I bought some Rosco and Lee filter gels.

If I understand correctly, it's basically an additive process similar to the green and blue filters in an Ilford MG 500 system rather than the subtractive yellow and magenta filters of a colour head.

In any event, I'll let you know how I get on. Here's a pic of the gels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170912_233815.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	2791  

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 13th September 2017, 02:24 PM
Friend

Thanks Marty. While he mentioned that the "normal" Kodak and Ilford filters at G5 were a little different in looks and were that way because each company wants you to use its paper to get the grade that its G5 filter represents,he didn't seem to explain why the green and blue filters get over this "problem" for any paper.

It may be that what is an Ilford paper G5 achieved by an Ilford G5 filter is not the same grade for an Adox(Agfa) paper but I had thought this to be due to the paper difference i.e. Ilford paper is let's say half a grade more contrasty through the range. If this is the case then would not this difference be apparent with his green and blue filters?

I'll be interested to see of there is a noticeable difference between your, say G5 with blue gel using Ilford paper and G5 with a "normal" magenta-like Ilford G5 filter using lford paper or the same paper whatever that paper is in each case.

Mike
Old 19th September 2017, 06:46 PM
Friend

Hello Marty, when you have finished experimenting please post your thoughts on using the Blue and Green filters to control the contrast in your prints. Steve Sherman's approach is interesting, do you have any idea what he means by exposing negatives designed to use minimal green filter exposure?
Old 19th September 2017, 07:21 PM
Friend

Hi Norm, I don't know if you've checked out his other videos on his youtube channel;
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UChqeY3DPTJl41mltSC5C5Ag

But I think he may be referring to his minimal agitation film processing technique;
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f9x39bKOkhI

He also has a website;
http://www.powerofprocesstips.com/

And he appears to be quite active on the large format photography forum;
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/index.php

- Minor White, 1950
Old 19th September 2017, 07:27 PM
Friend

I'll certainly post my findings once I've got round to having a play with the filters. Hopefully over the next few weeks.

- Minor White, 1950
Old 19th September 2017, 08:10 PM
Friend

Got it, thank you http://www.powerofprocesstips.com/20...arent-article/
Old 20th September 2017, 07:17 AM
Friend

Marty good thread here http://www.largeformatphotography.in...p/t-97489.html
Old 20th September 2017, 08:16 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
Thanks Norm.

- Minor White, 1950
Old 20th September 2017, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
Hello Marty, when you have finished experimenting please post your thoughts on using the Blue and Green filters to control the contrast in your prints. Steve Sherman's approach is interesting, do you have any idea what he means by exposing negatives designed to use minimal green filter exposure?
I am guessing Norm that he produces a low contrast negative (underdeveloped) which means more blue than green illumination to get the required image? less green may produce more defined highlights?
Old 20th September 2017, 01:06 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
I am guessing Norm that he produces a low contrast negative (underdeveloped) which means more blue than green illumination to get the required image? less green may produce more defined highlights?
I agree but I am not sure that using Blue and green filters will show a massive difference from using Ilford multigrade filters. Using Blue and green filters sparked my interest because I have cold light enlarger head that I have never used. From what I have read cold light can be quite blue but using a 40y yellow filter above the negative carrier will cancel out the excess blue light; you can then use Ilfords contrast filters below the lens. Alternatively you can use the Blue/Green filter approach above the negative.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies